Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
East Coast Fabric Shopping >

East Coast Fabric Shopping

East Coast Fabric Shopping

Old 08-19-2019, 11:46 AM

if you go up to Maine, definitely check out
Marden’s. It is not specific to fabric, but they have a large fabric section. I was hoping to go next week, but unfortunately my plans have changed, I guess someone is trying to tell me I don't need anymore fabric! - LOL
Old 08-19-2019, 01:46 PM

If you end up in Connecticut, Colchester Mills in Colchester is fabulous!! What a wonderful store and the sales people are so friendly! Here's their website https://colchestermillfabrics.com/
Old 08-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Auburn massachuttes near Worcester has the $2.999 store. Lots of brand name fabrics there. Rayco in Cumberland RI. Hard to give suggestions not knowing where you will travel.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:01 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Cheryl7758 View Post
if you go up to Maine, definitely check out
Marden’s. It is not specific to fabric, but they have a large fabric section.
Definitely do Marden's, but check the locations nearest where you are going to visit to make sure they have a fabric department. Not all do.

For those uninitiated, Marden's is a Maine-based surplus/salvage store chain. They sell everything from furniture to appliances to flooring, tools, cosmetics, clothing, shoes, sporting goods, decor, and even food items. They buy from stores closing out, insurance claim merchandise (like a fire or flood, where all the goods, even the undamaged ones, are declared a total loss by the insurance company), etc. Each location is different in what they carry, though.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-19-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-19-2019, 03:54 PM

The Marden's up in Presque Isle had the buyout of Westminster Fabric's Kaffe Facette fabric...all for $3.99 or $4.99 per yard! This was back in February 2019, so not sure they have any left. Their wide backs are usually $7.99 or $8.99 per yard. Name brands (Moda, Benartex, etc.) are usually no more than $4.99 per yard. They also have batiks and panels. I don't buy these, so not sure what they sell for. FQs are 75 cents each. They also sell some patterns, notions and threads, but the fabric is what to go for.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:54 PM

I agree with feline fanatic about Golden Lane! It's less than 1/2 hour from my home, so I am able to visit often. It is not a typical quilt shop, as it is a Mennonite store. Ie, in a metal pole barn type building, not decorated - and the lighting isn't great. Ada, the owner, is a really interesting woman. She doesn't mind of you take a bolt to the door or window to see in better lighting.

Prices when I was there a couple of weeks ago were all under $9/yd.

If you are going out of your way at all, I'd recommend calling ahead to make sure a shop is still open. Many that are still listed in google searches have closed, unfortunately.

Will you be driving right along the coast, or inland, and how far? I stopped @ The Crazy Cousin in Fredericksburg, VA (not far from Washington, DC) in the spring. It is a wonderful shop, but not for a quick stop!
Old 08-19-2019, 04:57 PM

If your wanderings take you to Maryland, I can recommend three shops that aren't far off 95.

1. Bear's Paw in Towson (a suburb of Baltimore on the NE side). Check their hours. I like the variety of fabrics and they do have clearance fabrics up front and some remnants in the middle of the store (last time I was there a year ago). Some of the employees are friendlier than others. Bernina dealer.

2. Glory Bee's Sewing Center in Fallston, which is near the intersection of Rt 152 and Rt 1. Very friendly and helpful employees. Mostly bright happy fabrics, a good assortment of Kona solids, lots of juvenile prints, yarn. Many different machine brands to play around on if you're in the mood. This is my favorite shop.

3. Hoppin Bobbin in Aberdeen. I learned to quilt from the owner's mom in a class. More Kansas Troubles and Civil War prints, plenty of batiks and juvenile prints and tools. Very friendly owner.