Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy striped table runner (60 degree) >

Easy striped table runner (60 degree)

Easy striped table runner (60 degree)

Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 PM

Default Easy striped table runner (60 degree)

Help. I'm making a table runner for our communion table at church. According to the pattern "Easy Striped Tablerunner by the Quilt Company" for the final length point to point, you should cut the fabric the desired length minus 8". I need a 94 inch finished runner so I cut my fabric 86". Now that it is finished it only measures 70" point to point.
I know I'm missing something, or not understanding something. Has anyone made this a different size than in the pattern that can help me figure this out? Fortunately I still have 1/2 the fabric left to try again.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

If you don't get an answer on what you did wrong and the last one turned out 16" less than the first cut (86-70), cut the next one 110 inches and construct it the same way. Should come out 16" less, or 94".
Old 08-13-2014, 04:06 PM

Thanks Paper Princess. I'm worried if I mess up again I won't have anymore fabric. It was hard to find the color and it wasn't cheap. Your idea makes sense.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:42 PM

I don't have that pattern but it seems like maybe you were supposed to add 8" rather than subtract? Since it was 16" short - 8" x 2?
Hope someone comes along who can help!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

If you cut the fabric at 86" and then added points to the ends, I don't see how it could have come out at 70". Are you sure you measured correctly?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If you cut the fabric at 86" and then added points to the ends, I don't see how it could have come out at 70". Are you sure you measured correctly?
After you cut the strip you end up cutting 60 degree triangles off each end. That's why the instructions don't make any sense. Guess I'll try to contact the pattern company
Old 08-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Is it not made the same way as Jinny Beyer's border print place mat?

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-w...E664D7C10ECAC8
Old 08-14-2014, 09:06 AM

If it is the one I am thinking of -- You use a border print or stripe. You cut two strips, with the bottom part being what you want as the perimeter of the table runner. Then cut a 60* triangle from both ends - being sure that the point is toward the bottom of the strip. You then need 4 more triangles cut with the wide bottom on what you have chosen as the perimeter. Lay out the runner with the SHORT sides touching. Now put 2 triangles into the space on either end. Hope this is clearer than mud. ) Ann
Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
If it is the one I am thinking of -- You use a border print or stripe. You cut two strips, with the bottom part being what you want as the perimeter of the table runner. Then cut a 60* triangle from both ends - being sure that the point is toward the bottom of the strip. You then need 4 more triangles cut with the wide bottom on what you have chosen as the perimeter. Lay out the runner with the SHORT sides touching. Now put 2 triangles into the space on either end. Hope this is clearer than mud. ) Ann
Ann, that is the one. My question is that the pattern states to cut the length 8" shorter than desired finished piece. It doesn't make sense or work out. I've emailed the pattern company, but haven't heard back.
I know some ladies in my quilt club have made it, so will ask them at next week's meeting before I cut the last of my fabric.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Is it not made the same way as Jinny Beyer's border print place mat?

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-w...E664D7C10ECAC8
Not quite the same. I am using Jennie Beyer fabric