Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An easy way to smooth my layers? >

An easy way to smooth my layers?

An easy way to smooth my layers?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM

I starch my quilt backs and tops, too. Instead of taping my quilt, I use pins. I get down on the floor, lay the backing down on my rug, smooth it all out and stick straight pins all around the edges to hold it. Then I put the batting down, and carefully smooth out all the wrinkles. I add the top, smoothing it out and putting straight pins around the edges. Then I start in the middle and pin with safety pins. Once all the safety pins are in place, I pull out all the straight pins and I'm ready to quilt. I haven't had any problems with puckers.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:03 PM

I teach to use a fusible batting on the top - ironing it to the top first makes it much easier to line up with the back.

I also don't teach to use safety pins - they can't remain at the needle and really increase the chances of puckers.

I teach to also use the spray adhesive - but only 3M Spray mount. It is the one designed for photos and has all the safeguards for fabric as a result. I love it because it doesn't wash out.

Why is it good for it not to wash away? Because once someone sits on the bed and the fabric stretches under them - the batting tears and can ball up in the middle of the front and the back.

As for the quilting part - I use our Octi-Hoops and then we don't need to use a foot - there are -0- puckers so there is no need to start in the middle and work your puckers out - because there are no puckers.

Hope this helps...
Old 09-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Is your backing starched? That's one of the first things I would do.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Is your backing starched? That's one of the first things I would do.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM

You can also stretch the backing too tight. then when you untape,etc. the fabric relaxes & you have a pucker. I use the black binder clips to clip the back to the table, layer batting on next.move clips to hold these 2 layers, then place top on, smooth carefully & move clips to hold 3 layers. then pin what is on top of the table. move layers over to get what hangs off the table. clip in same order. Church or Firehouse tables work great.
Which reminds me of something that maybe you can take advantage in your area---our Guild gets to use the Fire station meeting room once a month for free because we are a non-profit. good lighting, AC, lots of tables, etc.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Heavy starch the backing. Then slightly stretch it out on a surface... using tape, pins or whatever will work. You want it slightly taut, but don't get carried away,or it will pucker as it draws back in. :D:D:D