Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Echo quilting >

Echo quilting

Echo quilting

Old 10-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Default Echo quilting

Hello again!

I'm getting a little nervous about finishing my quilt. I basted my quilt tonight and it's time to get it quilted. This is a wedding gift so I want to make it as perfect as possible. Originally I thought I would just do tons of horizontal stripes, but I was drawing out some ideas on my ipad that I kind of liked. Hopefully the gray can be seen well enough. First question is, can I do this with a walking foot? I used a free motion foot with my first quilt and I'm not good enough at it for something that is being given as a gift. Second question is, if I do a design like this, after I've done the triangles and start doing the straight lines, how do I transition from each line? Do I stop and tie it off at the end of each line or do I stitch in the ditch a short distance and then turn and keep going? (Or do that without stitching in the ditch, say half an inch from the seam?)

I thought this would look neat on the back of the quilt and bring the triangles onto the back. I'd love to hear more interesting ideas!

I'm attaching pics of my sketch and closeups of two examples of how I'm envisioning the straight lines.

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 AM

When I make a quilt with an angular design, I actually like to do the opposite - quilt it with softer curves. I feel it gives the quilt more 'life' or 'movement' and then doesn't detract or 'fight' with the original pattern.

I agree it would be a great feature on the back, but most people will care about the front (although I do know someone who gave a beautiful, intricate quilt as a gift and the recipient preferred the pattern of the fabric on the back, lol).

It's a lovely quilt whatever you decide
Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 AM

There may be places you will have to knot off...just do a quilters knot and bury threads.....just be careful doing those diagonal lines on your DSM....bias pulls/puckers on back....make are you have basted well......take your time it will be lovely.....linear is the new modern! Btw....your piecing/ placement is great.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:05 AM

There may be places you will have to knot off...just do a quilters knot and bury threads.....just be careful doing those diagonal lines on your DSM....bias pulls/puckers on back....make are you have basted well......take your time it will be lovely.....linear is the new modern! Btw piecing/placement is great.....pattern? Template for kite piece?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:15 AM

I think your design is lovely and will look great when you get it done. You will have to do a lot of starts and stops but I always figure for a quilt that I'm going to give to someone for a special occasion, it's worth it.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Straight lines will look fine but realize that every change of direction is going to mean rotating the whole quilt through the machine harp. When sewing repeated straight lines you also can't do too many sewing in the same direction. You need to change sewing direction every other row so the quilt doesn't move.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 AM

A walking foot works better for straight lines. However, there will be lots of turning and shifting the quilt which is also difficult.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I would hate for the piecing to disappear in the type of quilting you are planning. I would first ditch the blocks vertically and then diagonally. The I would SITD by using FMQ technique the four small triangles in each pyramid to accent your piecing. I like the quilting to stay in the background and let the piecing and fabric be the star of the quilt. Good Luck !
Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 AM

I have a lap quilt that I would like to quilt with a geometric pattern somewhat like you are contemplating. You can definitely use your walking foot, but as others have said you will have lots of turning the quilt to make the corners. If your quilt is not too big, just have patience and take frequent rest breaks. This is my plan.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I mainly do a large meander or large stipple. I hate doing straight lines because of all the turning. Maybe do a grid, corner to corner in each direction.