Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Editas' Tahoe quilt >

Editas' Tahoe quilt

Editas' Tahoe quilt

Old 01-19-2024, 01:11 AM
Gay

Default Editas' Tahoe quilt

Is anyone here doing the Tahoe quilt from Laundry Basket Quilts, & if so how is it going? I have all the blocks done but to be honest they are not all equal, no doubt due to my unequal seam allowances, so it's getting a bit difficult putting them together. I used a 20 Fat 1/4 pack called Lovestruck though had to find background a other pieces, and had to piece a few pieces using scraps to keep the design in order. Didn't manage to get the template yet locally, so was not sure of the exact measurements of each block but will do so when I can. Those open seams are new to me, not difficult with the correct seam allowance, but more time to press. It is a real challenge but I enjoyed it so much I would do it all again in a flash. The Montana quilt was also a challenge but it too is much loved.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:18 AM

Oh my, that is beautiful! Are those Y seams? I did one of her quilts because I wanted to make myself do something with Y seams and I did finish it but never again. When it came time to quilt it I found waves and waves because my seams were not perfect. I admire anyone who does these types of quilts. A lot of starch while on the frame to quilt it helped immensely and it is on a wall now because I didnt want to put it on a bed.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:42 AM

that's a very pretty quilt, and I've done several similar. It's not Y seams, it's a lot of rows sewn on diagonal and then sewn together into 8 pointed sections. What I dislike the most is no seams nest, so you need to be extra careful getting them lined up when sewing rows together. It does require more exact sewing than most, and getting a tiny bit off can cause you to end up with edges starting to curve and then you don't get a flat piece when you are done. One method is to break it down to larger diamonds and trimming them to exact size before sewing more together.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:28 AM

I love that quilt, it's on my to-do list. Gay, did you follow along with Edyta's instructional blog posts, or did you make it from the pattern itself?

What happened with your seam allowances, why are they unequal?
Old 01-20-2024, 04:05 PM
Gay

Peggi, I followed the blog posts. My seams were unequal because I thought the 1/4" mark on my new machine was a bit off. (should have kept using it). Also with all that pressing the seams open, I spray starch to set them, I feel some pieces shrunk. So now, meeting those points up needs quite a bit of fudging. However I am getting there, just have to cut the backing now and put it all together - that will be fun. But as I said, I will get the template before attempting it again.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I'm just in awe of anyone who would tackle that beautiful quilt.