Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elbows in my strips >

Elbows in my strips

Elbows in my strips

Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM

I've read a dozen ways to do this and sometimes each way works :D and sometimes it don't. :(
Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 AM

Yep. Had this problem too. I fold fabric salv to salv. Press the seam. Fold the seam just up to the salv so the salv peaks above the fold about an inch. Using the marks on my 2" ruler, I place the ruler so the marks are along the bottom fold. Don't move the ruler. Look at the marks at the too of the ruler. If the folds are on the marks, don't tilt, the fold is straight and I can cut. You will have to trim and toss out a little bit.

If you are cutting from a large piece of fabric, you may have to keep adjusting your folds to keep everything straight. Sometimes fabric likes to creep. 8)

Please don't get frustrated. Quilting is a wonderful hobby. I've found playing with fabric and making something pretty out of fabric is great therapy. I'm a caregiver for my bedridden mother. Playing with fabric helps me get through the bad days.

Julie in NM
Old 06-26-2007, 05:13 PM

I have found that carefully pressing the folds before rotary cutting eliminates "elbows". Fold your fabric slowly and press each fold before placing it on the cutting mat in order to get strait strips from selvage to selvage.

Shelly

Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 AM

Hi Scooter

I read a book by Marti Mitchell and she explained why she cuts with the grain, instead of selvage to selvage. Anyway, I never did do a lot of cutting selvage to selvage because of the "elbows" . Now I either cut with the grain or if I'm cutting selvage-selvage I lay it out flat, not folded.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:36 PM

I usually fold one salvage half way up to the other and then begin my cutting. It has worked for me.
Judy
Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 PM

I was taught to even the fabric by holding it selvage to selvage, but not close together, and rolling until the bottom was even, sorry but that's the best explanation I can give, it'd be much easier to show you. Joy