Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow? >

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Old 10-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Some teachers will work for you-others won't. I've often attended a class and understood nothing. I need things written down, whereas others need to see the method. Problem is, if the written instructions aren't clear to me--I'm screwed! I'm afraid I'm not much help, but you are not alone!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:40 PM

I went to a quilt retreat this weekend and I worked on EB's Delectable Mountains. This is the first pattern of hers that I have used. I have a lot of trouble with books where you go back and forth through a book to find the version you are making. When I first started looking at the book, it was a nightmare. But after making a few boo boos, I got the just of it. So I am moving along, but I doubt if I would try another one of her patterns. I've been a quilter for about 15 yrs and take a lot of classes. I think there must be an easier way to make this quilt.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 AM

Put me in the confused club. I have 2 of her books and one pattern and I just don't get the way she explains stuff and when I went to her youtube channel I just can't get over the way she "talks down". I understand that she was/is a teacher (once a teacher always a teacher) but not every teaching style is for every person.
Just like learning styles :-) I am glad the Dr. appt. went well and I hope you are able to get your quilt together when it doubt make extra blocks they can always be made into wall hanging or added to orphan block quilt later

Happy Quilting :-)
Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 AM
Evy

Originally Posted by Plumtree View Post
Put me in the confused club. I have 2 of her books and one pattern and I just don't get the way she explains stuff and when I went to her youtube channel I just can't get over the way she "talks down". I understand that she was/is a teacher (once a teacher always a teacher) but not every teaching style is for every person.
Just like learning styles :-) I am glad the Dr. appt. went well and I hope you are able to get your quilt together when it doubt make extra blocks they can always be made into wall hanging or added to orphan block quilt later

Happy Quilting :-)
Thanks, that's pretty much how she affects me. I know I'm not the brightest person, but I just feel really dumb reading her pattern instructions and listening to her. I haven't decided whether to begin the quilt or not. I have the fabric, but can certainly find another pattern for it. the youtube video does clarify it. Maybe without the sound would be better! Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 AM

I would suggest finding the you tube video for the Quilt in a Day quilt you'd like to make. Don't be too hard on yourself !
Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Love Eleanor Burns, the first quilt I ever made was a Trip around the World and the 2nd a Lone Star, both from her directions. It took me a weekend to piece each of them but I was thrilled. And that was before she had all the videos available online. Of course I will admit they were each done at a weekend retreat where I had someone to help if I needed it. That was over 30 years ago.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
She has a very specific style of instruction and I often find myself working ahead assuming I know what she wants me to do. I am usually wrong and get mixed up.

Unless you do them all the time, only do one simple step at a time and check, check, check.
I agree - I got her pattern for SunBonnet Sue and thought I knew what she was doing - got halfway through the instructions and realized I should have followed her instructions completely.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM

Have been quilting for a very long time. Unless I've watched her show, then bought the pattern/book, I can have a difficult time. I've made several of the TATW from her book but the reason why it made sense to me, was her sister (Patty?) came and spoke to a Guild in our area and briefly showed the technique. Horray for quilt shows and You Tube tutorials.