Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt

Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt

Needing information on the Eleanor Burns Log Cabin quilt from anyone who has made it. I had some E B instructions long ago, but I think she has revised them in recent years (not sure). I have heard her version is a good one, and would like to hear from someone who has made it. For that matter, I would like to hear from anyone who has made ANY Log Cabin quilt, and what you have to say about your method. Do you cut your strips to size, or cut long strips and sew and cut? Thanks so much.

I have taught a beginners class using her method of a long cabin quilt. I have seen two editions, and she has changed the book, somewhat. You cut 2 1/2 inch strips and sew the block to the strip each time and cut. You do not press until you are finished. I recommend buying her book, as she has some good techiques that will help you get the block to lay right, and lots of pictures for ideas of block placement. Amazon is a cheaper way to go.

I prefer Judy Martin's method, which includes cutting the strips to size. I never have to trim or square a block with her method. I also highly recommend the book, because there are lots of beautiful patterns and techniques in it.

I've made two log cabin quilts in my life. My only regret is that the first one I wanted totally scrappy, and I drove myself nuts cutting lots of different strips in all the necessary sizes and then trying not to duplicate any fabrics in the block. The second time around, I used the same fabric for all the logs in the light color, which made the whole thing much, much easier.

The first time, I cut all the logs in advance. I don't always have perfect seams, so some of my blocks weren't perfect, but oddly enough all the blocks fit together fine. The second time, since I was using the one light fabric, I sewed blocks to strips of the light fabric and just cut up the darks. It went much faster, and I was able to trim as I went and things stayed a little straighter.

I think either way is fine, it depends on how you feel about detailed work. I like quick finishes!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I have the EB book I have made two and will do another this year. I like the assembly line sewing for log cabins personally because I think they are boring to do one block at a time. Just me! PM me if you need help...
    *Rachel*

I have made several log cabin quilts. I always cut mine to size and I have never had a problem. I have used judy Martins and Thimbleberries patterns.

Blog Entries
    I use the EB method and love it. Cut all your different pieces and piece all your blocks at once. It is so easy and you don't confused as to where you are at. You will love it!!
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

My very first attempt at quilting was the log cabin she started with, in one of those magazines, it was a kit and I still have it although it is pretty pitiful. I knew nothing about seams, (1/4" seams), and the fact that they have to connect, but I think it is still beautiful. It is stored or retired but I still love it.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    I've only made blocks for wallhangings, but I cut my strips first. You can still chain piece them to speed up the assembly process. I think if I tried the strip method without pressing and squaring each time, I'd get a new version of wonky. By precutting, I know my 10 1/2" block will be just that.

I have made one log cabin from the OLD EB book using the strip piecing method and two using the precut method. It's a toss up -- lately the precut method has been quicker. I would get her newer book since she did update it.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I love her methods, but my compulsiveness makes me cut the strips to size. Log cabin quilts are my favorite to make.

Here is a link to a speedy way to sew the blocks

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles...log-cabins.php

My daughter & I made EB's log cabin for a Christmas quilt last year. It came out nice and was easy to make. My daughter had never sewed a stitch!

E Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin is one of my favorite books, Would never part with it.

I have made several log cabin quilts using her strip piecing method. You cut the strips 2.5" and sew away. There is no cutting a log x number of inches.. you chain them and then cut the excess off. I actually did do a small(er) quilt in a day using her method. I have also turned them so there is no binding (another of her really fast techniques) and tied them, saving hours with sewing binding down and doing it by hand. I would look for her book on Log Cabins. They are one of my favorites, partly because of the speed, and you really do see results in a few hours.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Half.com is a great place to look for quilting books, but be sure to check amazon to double check who has the best price. the last time I bought a book, it saved my about 70% off of retail.

Blog Entries
    Fifteen years ago I was on a log cabin jag as I reentered the quilting world. Eleanor Burns book seemed to be the best for me with clear instructions and a quick work up time because of sewing with strips. Also, she has quite a few ways to lay out the blocks, so you can arrange the log cabin to look different...not the same all the time. Since then, I've diversified, but her directions are so clear that I really prefer to use her method if I'm making a log cabin.

love her methods

Last year I made a log cabin using Eleanor Burns method. it was very easy and went together really well. Also, went fast. I never did square up the blocks and they ended up pretty square. go figure.

this was the first quilt I made. I had watched her show and decided to finally "just do it"! I only remember it was easy and got me hooked on quilting!

I've used both the strip or pre cutting methods and like both but the strip method does go pretty fast. I find that the blocks tend to get out of wack after a few rounds so I press and square up after there are about 2 complete rows all around, then again after another 2 complete rows, etc. Since I'm not the most accurate sewer I cut the last 2 strips a bit wider to take care of any blocks that may be a little smaller than needed.

I love her Log Cabin Quilt. Several years ago, I invited my 2 of my SILs, my cousin, and my niece (who had never sewed anything) to a quilt-in. My cousin is a very accomplished seamstress, but had never made a quilt. My SILs were nominal sewers. I chose the Log Cabin because of its simplicity. We sewed for the whole weekend, 1-full, 2-king, 1-lap and 1-baby. We had a great time. We have done it several times since. I actually have 2 of her log cabin books, one of the is signed by her.

Blog Entries
    I have made EB Log Cabin quilt , About 10 of them I like her book. I cut them to size

My very first quilt was a log cabin pattern by Alex Anderson using the long strips, sew & cut method. Super easy instructions to follow and I was succesful the first time giving me the confidence to try more. Love EB and want to try one of her's too!
    “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

~ Dr. Seuss

My first quilt was an E.B. log cabin..and she had you tore the strips in 2 1/2" strips..took me longer then A Day..more like a week..still have the book and that was a long time ago..Kathy
    Kathleen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast