Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Electric Quilt - have you used it?

I have used EQ since ver 4 came out and upgraded each time there was one available. I am now using EQ7. I love designing and coloring the quilts and getting them just the way I want them. In the new version you can scan in your fabrics and color your blocks with them. This way you know exactly what your finished product is going to look like. The last one I did looked exactly like the design. It is really helpful for color placement and also you can print out your blocks and pieces in correct size. You can also print out paper piecing foundations. Ann in TN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ladydi64
    I have EQ7 and use it all the time when I want to try out a new quilt using my stash, which I have added to the library in my EQ7, I can see what the quilt will look like before I spend my time cutting anything. I also went to Quilt University online and took a class on how to make a sampler, was very helpful in understanding EQ7. If you go to the EQ website, you will see what can be made using EQ. Have fun.
    Ladydi64- can you tell me the web site for quilt university. I have eq7 an havent mastered using it yet. this may be very useful in helping me. Also do you know if i import a picture of a quilt block can i find a way to get templates of the block. Thanks for any help you can give

http://quiltuniversity.com/ for Quilt University.

You can import a picture of a quilt block and convert it to a drawing guide. You trace the drawing guide and then discard the guide, leaving the block pattern. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    http://quiltuniversity.com/ for Quilt University.

You can import a picture of a quilt block and convert it to a drawing guide. You trace the drawing guide and then discard the guide, leaving the block pattern. :)
    thank you so very much. its my day off work so this is what im going to do . ALL DAY lol

I have used EQ for several years and like it very much. It is definitely more than worth the cost if you enjoy designing your own quilts. I like being able to see what a design is really going to look like before I start cutting up fabric. I especially like that I can scan my own fabrics into the program. My favorite feature is Symmetry. It shifts and rotates the blocks in your design with each click, showing you the many layout possibilities of your blocks. If a block is appropriate for foundation piecing, you can print out the foundations. I have tried many designs (especially in borders) that I never would have tackled without the program. My avatar is a project that I designed in EQ. :thumbup:

I have a EQ5 and have it installed on my computer with
    Windows 7 and use it all the time. Eq will help you with
    the issues that you are having with instillation, all you have to do is give them a call. They are very customer friendly, and have never been disappointed with their service. I have not wanted to upgrade, mainly due to the added expense, I have always had wonderful service from them, when I had a question.

I think I'm in the minority, but I do not use my EQ5 and consider it a total waste of money. Of all the many quilting notions that I have spent money on, this is the one that I most regret purchasing.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    I think I'm in the minority, but I do not use my EQ5 and consider it a total waste of money. Of all the many quilting notions that I have spent money on, this is the one that I most regret purchasing.
    So sell it.

I have EQ6 but use it very little. I think I am not really a creative type person. I do better with letting others do the designing and I do the making! I only have used it to design quilt labels and a few quilt tops. For me, it has not been a very good investment, but When I want to use it, then I am glad I have it on my pc.

It is a software package that will do the figuring for you but you do need to spend some time learning the program. I have EQ7 and have used it several times and like it. But you must invest the time needed to learn how to use it or it is a waste of your money.

I am technology challenged. I have EQ5 and can't make heads or tails out of my instructions. even bought a 2nd book on it. Just can't seem to get the hang of it!

I don't have EQ 5 but I have both the EQ 6 & 7 and love them. I do BOM ( block of the Month) for 2 quilt clubs and use the EQ making the BOM for the members. I still have a lot to go though the books but so far I have enjoyed EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    So sell it.
    Thank you for suggesting the obvious, but I haven't yet finished playing with EQ5, nor studying the accompanying manual. Perhaps there is at least one feature that I will find useful, so that I will have either less or no regrets for having purchased it.

I have ver 5 and really don't use it to its max. I do like it for example to take a pattern for a lap size and enlarge it to a queen/king and then print out the fabric needed.....better than guessing, especially now that fab is so costly.

I don't "design" quilts so that is not a priority for me......I was going to upgrade, but decided what I use it for what I have right now is enough.

MTS
    Banned
    So sell it.
    Thank you for suggesting the obvious, but I haven't yet finished playing with EQ5, nor studying the accompanying manual. Perhaps there is at least one feature that I will find useful, so that I will have either less or no regrets for having purchased it.
    Ah, yes.
    I see how I mistakenly inferred from your op that you were not yet done exploring the software and manual, and were, in fact, still searching for a useful feature.

I love the EQ7. Once you get the hang of it the program is great and a lot of fun. I could spend a lot of time on it but need to get things done and keep up with the QB. If you get it you will like it and the manual is very very good and explains everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehoeta
    I started with EQ5 - bumped to 6 and now up to 7. If you take a couple of hours to go through their tutorial... (which you can do while creating one of your own designs) you are proficient.

I create designs, templates, shopping lists and rotary cutting instructions.

LOVE IT!!!
    I have EQ6 and love it. I wished I had upgraded it before EQ7 came out. Then is was around $60.00 Has anyone seen a reasonal price to upgrade?

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie
    I have EQ6 and love it. I wished I had upgraded it before EQ7 came out. Then is was around $60.00 Has anyone seen a reasonal price to upgrade?
    Street price is $89.

Both of these offer free shipping in the US.

Here it's $77.35:
    http://www.discdirect.net/products/E...SBNT18%0A.html

Or you can make an offer here - see how low you can go - although none of the earlier offers were accepted.
    Always worth a try:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Qui...item588c202a04

So sell it.
    Ah, yes.
    I see how I mistakenly inferred from your op that you were not yet done exploring the software and manual, and were, in fact, still searching for a useful feature.
    This is me being repetitive & possibly more precise: I DO regret buying it; I have NOT found it useful. I wish I had NOT bought it. I WILL be studying it more as time & mood permit. I MAY find some feature I can use. If not, I do NOT need anyone to suggest what I should do with it. Is that clear enough?

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I purchased EQ 7 a few months ago after wanting it forever. I installed it, played around with it the first day and then never touched it again. It comes with a instruction manual that is about 3" thick. I just sold it recently here on the QB. I just don't have the time to invest in learning how to use it.
    Yup! I just purchased it from her :) Got it a few weeks ago. Have used it several times already. I previously had EQ5 and found it to be not quite what I wanted and through searching etc I found that EQ7 would be a little more to my liking.

Currently I am using it to plan a quilt by auditioning various blocks in conjunction with other blocks that are already finished. I decided I didn't want to do the other block called for in the pattern, so I'm auditioning several others looking for an outstanding secondary pattern that pleases my eye. It's a great help with this!!

Blog Entries
    You guys have convinced me. I bought eq7 and can't wait for it to arrive!

I had the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I purchased EQ 7 a few months ago after wanting it forever. I installed it, played around with it the first day and then never touched it again. It comes with a instruction manual that is about 3" thick. I just sold it recently here on the QB. I just don't have the time to invest in learning how to use it.

If you have problems learning on your own, take the classes on it from Quilt University. Fran is an excellent teacher and you will learn how to use to program. jb

Blog Entries
    I would love to have one, but would have to get a used one, I'm on the the computer a lotmaybe I will put it on my want list.

Blog Entries
    I have it and love it, just wish I had more time to learn the program better!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast