Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elmer's Adhesive Spray

Elmer's Adhesive Spray

Yesterday, I was at the local grocery store and they are going through a remodel. All their scrapbooking supplies were 50% off. I saw a bunch of dusty bottles on the bottom shelves and started reading what they were good for. According to the description, it said it would adhere fabric to fabric. At $2.99 a container, I thought I would give it a try. I bought 6 bottles of it. Have any of you used it for basting/applique? If it works, it beats the heck out of paying $15.00 or more for a container of 505 or basting spray. I am going to try it out this evening on some fabric and see how it works.

Name:  get.jpeg
Views: 520
Size:  10.4 KB
    MistyMarie

Blog Entries
    I have never seen this basting spray. Anxious to see what your results and feelings are about it. I know I use the washable Elmers School glue for applique and bindings; it works great.
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    The can says it dries permanent. I don't think I'd use it for basting.

It does say it can be repositioned. I bet it is like Elmer's glue... it washes out in the wash. I will try it on some scraps and throw them in the washer to see what happens. I sure hope it works!
    MistyMarie

I am curious when you say you use glue for bindings. Does gum up the needle as you sew the bindings down?

I use the elmers school glue for bindings all the time, doesnt gum up my needle at all.
    Don't compromise even if it hurts to be yourself. Toby Keith

The spray is repositional for about 15 minutes, when it is dry it is permanent. Best advice as you stated, try it on a sample piece first. Also like any other spray it goes beyond just the area you want sprayed so be careful of surrounding areas.
    jackie

I'm interested also. I'm considering sandwiching my quilt on the wall like I saw Patty Thompson do and have been researching sprays.

Will be interesting to see how this works out for you.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Me too, Misty. I hope it works.

Blessings!
    Carole
    I am an organ donor. I gave my heart to Jesus.

have never used anything but the June Taylor Quilt Basting Spray from Hobby Lobby...costs $9.99, but usually buy it with the 40% off coupon.

Blog Entries
    that *stuff* is ok to use for walhangings- or projects you do not plan to stitch after (gluing)
    it is a permenent bond- and becomes stiff- and is not easy to sew through-if you do manage to get a needle through it-it gums them up fairly quickly- it is a crafting glue- not a (sewing adhesive)
    maybe you should have bought 1 can (to try it---instead of 6) unless you are a scrapbooker...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

WAH!!!! It so does not work. It gums up the needle and breaks the thread. It is very sticky. I am sure I will be able to find some uses for it, but it won't be in my sewing room. What to do with SIX of these? I think my kids school will be getting some containers of spray adhesive. It probably would be great for posters and such... especially doing glitter projects.
    MistyMarie

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    that *stuff* is ok to use for walhangings- or projects you do not plan to stitch after (gluing)
    it is a permenent bond- and becomes stiff- and is not easy to sew through-if you do manage to get a needle through it-it gums them up fairly quickly- it is a crafting glue- not a (sewing adhesive)
    maybe you should have bought 1 can (to try it---instead of 6) unless you are a scrapbooker...
    It was pretty cheap, fortunately. I will keep a couple of them to use for school projects. Oh well.
    MistyMarie

Blog Entries
    At lease you were think out of the box!!

Great buy. Please let us know how it works.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I bought a can of this a while back to use it for basting but after reading the can I decided against it. It does not wash out it is permanent.
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Blog Entries
    PLEASE let us know how it works out!!

I hope it work for you. We could always use a bargin!!!

I hope it work for you. We could always use a baragin!!!

Blog Entries
    If you Google, you will probably come up with a website or two by people who have tried it. One I read said that she created a small quilt sandwich and washed it, and it seemed to come out in the wash, same as quilt basting sprays. I spent some time Googling it and even found the MSDS for the Elmers that lists what chemicals are in it and safety concerns. It is very flammable, but I think all basting sprays are. This is not the same as washable Elmer's glue which is made up primarily of starch. If you read the chemicals list for the spray, there are a lot of different chemicals in it.

Blog Entries
    Did you let it dry overnight first?

I found this older quilt board posting from someone who said she uses it successfully for quilts and that it does not gum up the needle. Let's see if I can get it right:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t52574-2.html

I'm wondering if the different experiences relate to how long you let the spray sit before sewing through it. I know that many people spray baste, then leave the quilt to sit overnight to dry completely before taking it to the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie View Post
    WAH!!!! It so does not work. It gums up the needle and breaks the thread. It is very sticky. I am sure I will be able to find some uses for it, but it won't be in my sewing room. What to do with SIX of these? I think my kids school will be getting some containers of spray adhesive. It probably would be great for posters and such... especially doing glitter projects.
    Last edited by Prism99; 11-18-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Additional information

Blog Entries
    When using glue for bindings, people use the Elmer's washable school glue (white stuff in a plastic bottle). This glue is basically just very thick starch. You place small dots of glue or a very thin line of glue on the binding, then iron it. Ironing is what makes the fabrics stick together with the glue. I use it sometimes when I am having a problem matching up seams. Just a small dot inside the seam allowance, a quick iron, and it acts like a glue "pin". After sewing the seam, I can pull the fabrics apart. Sharon Schamber has a video on Youtube demonstrating how she uses this glue for bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie'sMom View Post
    I am curious when you say you use glue for bindings. Does gum up the needle as you sew the bindings down?

I use glue and spray adhesive for everything as I can't stand being stabbed with pins and I get fed up with pinning as well. I usually buy the $4 cans as the $30 "quilting" ones are too expensive. Elmer's is OK in my experience. Some people have warned me off the cheap sprays because they say that they yellow over time. None of mine have ever had yellowing or gummed up the needles and I've been seriously quilting since 1980. The Glues were always used in cottage craft that was popular at that time and none of that stuff suffered.
    I let the stuff sit for a day before I start sewing.

Blog Entries
    Can you give a brief lesson on how to us elmers school glue for bindings? this has intrigued me, putting on bindings is my least favorite step on a project.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftykimberly View Post
    I use the elmers school glue for bindings all the time, doesnt gum up my needle at all.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast