Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Elmer's glue is my new best friend!!

Smile Elmer's glue is my new best friend!!

I just finished a quilt for my sister and glue basted the binding down before machine stitching it. Also, glued the label on and then hand stitched it. Wow!! how quick and easy and worked like a dream. All washed out and feels very soft. I really like this stuff. Thanks QB for showing me this new way. So much easier than pinning! Check out Sharon Shamber's Binding the Angel video to see how she does it. Real time saver! I'm a happy quilter!

Blog Entries
    It does work great! I also use it to match large patterns for borders or backs. I fold and press a 1/2" seam allowance, then match it up, glue baste it, and cut the rest of the piece to fit, then sew on the folded line. Done this way, it's nearly impossible to see the seam.

Just a FYI - Elmer's Glue - according to my bottle is made in China while my Roxanne Temporary Basting Glue is made in the US. Just sayin......

I really like using the glue method also.

Wink

Thanks for letting us know. I am trying to use U.S. products as much as I can. I have even started making homemade treats for my dogs because most of the treats are made in China and hundreds of animals have died from them. It is worth the time for me. Just sayin

QUOTE=karenpatrick;5811389]Just a FYI - Elmer's Glue - according to my bottle is made in China while my Roxanne Temporary Basting Glue is made in the US. Just sayin......[/QUOTE]

I only do my binding with the glue. LOVE IT!

I am working on an applique quilt where I am using a Mylar template and starching and pressing the edges then gluing the pieces to the fabric instead of using pins to hold while I hand stitch. I have been working on this quilt on and off for a few months and am hoping that it washes out ok since I am leaving the glue on the fabric for a lot longer than I had planned.
    Deb
    Professional Long Arm Quilter
    http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/

I never thought of glue for appliqué. So, how does it work, people? Seems like it would be less expensive and less messy than fusible. Who's used it? Chime in!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    Thanks for letting us know. I am trying to use U.S. products as much as I can. I have even started making homemade treats for my dogs because most of the treats are made in China and hundreds of animals have died from them. It is worth the time for me. Just sayin

QUOTE]
    Just so you know... ALL of those treats that are made in China have been recalled. I believe it came down early last week. Also, not just off brands are made in China, there are some well known brands that are manufactured in China also! I was shocked! My other half works in managment in a fairly large box store chain and told me about the recall.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Do you use a glue stick, a bottle of glue or spray glue? The one time I tried Elmer's Glue (in a bottle) even though I used a small amount it left the area looking wet and darker? I knew I was doing something wrong and did not try it again just hand stitched the applique the next time.

Did you use washable glue? That washes right out. I always wash the quilts I make when they're done, so it doesn't add an extra step for me.

I have never tryed the glue, but have to comment on the dog treats. My sisters Vet, told her not to give her 2 dogs any of the treats, except the Greenies. Even the Beggin Strips, He said they are mosly salt and artificial flavorings, and very bad for our little furry friends.

Blog Entries
    I use Elmer's Washable glue for whole quilts (see tutorial here), bindings, applique and matching seams - for me it is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I am a total believer in using Elmers Washable School Glue for every step imaginable in quilting! It is awesome to work with and is inexpensive to boot.
    Brenda

Used it for matching seams on my latest twister quilt. Worked great and washes right out. Love it for binding.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Gladys, I just love your Avitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Do you use a glue stick, a bottle of glue or spray glue? The one time I tried Elmer's Glue (in a bottle) even though I used a small amount it left the area looking wet and darker? I knew I was doing something wrong and did not try it again just hand stitched the applique the next time.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Welcome to the club!

I used Elmer glue stick and it did not work at all. Have to try the liquid.

I don't think I'll be buying the stick. It dries out so fast you can't do anything with it.
    BIG waste of money. Buy the liquid washable glue.

I use glue for lots of things, works great.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just glued patches on jeans today so I didn't have to fight pins while sewing. I'm a glue-holic.

I use liquid glue to baste my quilts and love it! I use the glue sticks for bindings...a bit messier, but dries faster under the iron.....When I find a store that has the liquid glue in gallon jugs, I will buy that way.....or stock up at WalMart during back to school sales!

I use Elmer's School Glue for my bindings and when doing blocks QAYG. I only put small dots and then use my iron to set it. It's also great for matching the seams before I sew them together. I also have Roxanne's but use it for my applique. I sometimes use the glue sticks for my paper piecing. I hate using pins.
    Patricia Faye

Question - on one of the tutorials I watched about glue basting, think it was Sharon Shamberg?, it looked like the tip of the glue bottle had something on it to make a smaller amount come out. It looked like there was a small metal tip on the plastic tip. Does anybody have any idea what that was, or am I nuts? A smaller bead would be very nice to try to avoid messiness!

It's a special tip you can buy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast