Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elna 720 >

Elna 720

Elna 720

Old 12-03-2023, 05:17 AM

Default Elna 720

Good morning. I currently have a Pfaff Creative 2170 which was given to me. I have enjoyed using it. I do find the work space to the right can be a challenge at times though. It needs to go into a shop for either a cleaning or some repair but the only shop close to me that does repairs said the turnaround time is 4-6 weeks. I’ve been looking at a used Elna 720 as a second machine. Can anyone offer opinions on this machine? Is it worth thinking about?( $500.00)
Old 12-03-2023, 06:35 AM

I can't say about the 720 but the Elna I used back in the 70's had a metal frame, not plastic, never saw the inside of a repair shop, traveled to numerous states as I moved thru the years. Wish I still had that machine these days as she never gave me any problems. Looked and read a bit abouut this machine and it sure looks nice. I paid $1,000 for my Elna SU62 back in 1977 so $500 now is a steal in my book. Being used, I'd ask the seller the history it's gone with cleaning, repairs, etc before I plunk my money down for it though. Looks can be deceiving.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:03 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I can't say about the 720 but the Elna I used back in the 70's had a metal frame, not plastic, never saw the inside of a repair shop, traveled to numerous states as I moved thru the years.
That version of the Elna company doesn't exist. It shut down around 1995. I believe the Diva 9000 was the last original Elna company produced model.

Newer Elnas are Janome clones. Janome owns the brand name.

The Elna 720 appears to be a clone of the Janome 6700 (based on its specs and having an "upper feed foot", aka AcuFeed, and an HP foot and needle plate.)
Old 12-03-2023, 03:34 PM

Default Elna 720

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
That version of the Elna company doesn't exist. It shut down around 1995. I believe the Diva 9000 was the last original Elna company produced model.

Newer Elnas are Janome clones. Janome owns the brand name.

The Elna 720 appears to be a clone of the Janome 6700 (based on its specs and having an "upper feed foot", aka AcuFeed, and an HP foot and needle plate.)

I hope this is the appropriate place to reply to you.
What is the HP foot and neeedle plate?
Old 12-03-2023, 05:58 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Shetlanddeb View Post
I hope this is the appropriate place to reply to you.
What is the HP foot and neeedle plate?
It's a narrow piecing foot and single hole needle plate. The key to it being a 6700 twin is the likely AcuFeed, which makes it the higher-end twin (do verify it has this). Janome also released a 6650 for "Internet/big box" sales that doesn't have the AcuFeed. I'm not sure if they offer an Elna version of this machine or not.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:37 AM

I have an Elna Excellence 720 - is that the same machine? It's been my primary machine for 5-6 years now, and since I gave away my old Viking 1 to my niece, my only machine. I don't find it free motions well, but it does everything else well. I love the larger harp size and its needle up/down feature, along with the automatic thread cutter. Whenever I send it for maintenance, about every 1.5 years, it doesn't sew as well when it returns. It seems stiff. But eventually, it hums along. It needs cleaning after almost every big project, but that's normal. I don't know about the price you quote - that seems high for a used machine to me.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:41 AM

Thank you for your input,I so appreciate it. I have been unable to find any reviews or “unboxings” to watch. Do you know of any? There are tons for the 720 pro.Would you mind answering a few questions?
Does it have the AccuFeed ?
How noisy is it?
Did it come with the feet quilters use most often?
Would you recommend it as a primary machine?

Thank you again.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shetlanddeb View Post
Thank you for your input,I so appreciate it. I have been unable to find any reviews or “unboxings” to watch. Do you know of any? There are tons for the 720 pro.Would you mind answering a few questions?
Does it have the AccuFeed ?
How noisy is it?
Did it come with the feet quilters use most often?
Would you recommend it as a primary machine?

Thank you again.
I assume you were asking me... My Excellence 720 has AccuFeed and the feet I need (and I sew/quilt every day). I use it as my primary machine, having no other (although I'd love to own a Singer Featherweight). I do find it a bit noisy, but no noisier than other machines like Bernina, Janome, etc. With the AccuFeed feet on, it is somewhat noisier of course. My needle threader has never worked for me although a friend showed me how to use it and has no trouble. It's a little fussy about thread and prefers Aurifil and hates Connecting Threads thread. What else would you like to know?