Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elna Sewing Machines

Hi all~

I was just talking to a friend who is a seamstress as is her mother. They both swear by Elna sewing machines. I've never heard of them until today. Does anyone own one or know anything about them? I just looked them up and the Quilting model looks very nice...just curious!

Thanks!

I have an Elna 6700 quilting series. I love it! It runs so smooth. And it has alot of features. It's very easy to operate.

I have a elna quilters dream. I really like it. It's very quiet and I never seem to have any trouble with it. I have heard tho that the new ones are not made by the same standards. They were bought out by some other company. I would check it out first if you are interested in one.

EC
    I've had Elnas for years and love them. I'm on my third one. Very quiet, sturdy, dependable machines. I've also heard that they are under new ownership. Would check into current reviews.

Currently using a Quilter's Dream and an Air Electronic. Love them both.

I have a few elnas....older versions. I have the tsp and the green one....model escapes me for now, but they are awesome machines! Worth their weight in gold!

I have an Elna 6004, and it is a work horse. I bought it over 10 years ago, and picked it over a Janome because I had never heard of Janome back then. It is a great beginners machine, and think it was a limited edition. It has now become my class machine because it is light enough to carry. Others would like to buy it because I have purchased a bigger throated machine, but will never get rid of it. I Have never had a problem with it.

My mother worked for Elna for years. The older machines are great, but about 5 years ago, they began to 'go downhill'in her words. I have my grandmothers, from the 1940s, and a new low end Janome. I had an SU for 25 years - never worked well, hated it. My sister has the slightly older one, and loves it. My GF has 6500 and loves it. I would buy a machine that feels right for you, and keep asking others about their machines. You can search the threads here about any machine! I did before I bought mine.
    I am still thinking about a fancy embroidery machine, but want to wait a while, so i can see what I really need.
    Take some of your sewing to the shop and see which one you like, then look for a deal.
    Good luck - and have fun.

I love my 2 Elnas, one of them is the Quilter's Dream.

I have a Quilter's Dream, too, and I love it. I got a Janome for the bigger space to FMQ, but I prefer my Elna for piecing.

My mother had an Elna machine. She bought it in 1974 or so.

Blog Entries
    I bought an Elna 7000 in the mid 80's. I still love her.
    This summer is the first time I have had a problem with her. The problem: it jumped timing and I needed a new foot pedal.
    Not bad considering she probably has a million miles on her.

I have an Elna Quilters Dream that I bought about 1998. I love it. It still works fine.

I also have the Quilters Dream and I love it!!

Power Poster
    I also have Quilters Dream.

Elna have great products, I have a press, a travel sewing machine (25 years old) an overlocker and a new Elna Elina sewing machine which I love.

Well, I have used Kenmore's for years and bought an Elna PRO Quilting Queen in 2006. I was sold when my sales lady told me it had the built in walking foot.
    I love my machine, have not had any problems with it and would recommend it to anybody who asked.
    Good luck with your choice.

Happy Quilting
    Susan

Blog Entries
    One could always go to the Elna site to explore what they say about their machines. Also checvk for local dealers and then go test drive and talk with the dealer about the type of sewing you expect your machine to do. Works for every model of every brand in my opinion. I think Janome and Elna combined and the new models are better than ever from what I've heard here and there along the way.

Thanks everyone for the input!!!

I have a Elna Diva and I love it... It does lots of fancy stitching... Hard to find a close place that sells them in this area.Indianapolis is one...

i know i am late to the conversation!!!! but i have an elna and it is a workhorse! love it! but i can't figure out what brand of plasticreplacement bobbins to buy....sometimes i have to unwind bobbins to add a new color--ack! anyone know where to buy?

I still have, but no longer use, the old Elna Superior that I got in 1953. I then progressed to a Jubilee, which is a workhorse and a half, then to the 6500 and now have the 8500 combo sew and embroidery machine. The only work ever done on any has been cleaning. They have been the most trouble free machines I have ever known. The original Elna uses the cams for decorative st. My we have come along way!!

Elnas used to be up there with Bernina and Pfaff. Dunno about now. They are supposedly made by Janome, and the new Elna 740 eXellence is extremely similar to the Janome Horizon. I'd by either. I've had an Elna serger since 2007, and it works great, but it's my first serger and I don't use it that much, so.....

I have the Pro Quilting Queen, and have used regular bobbins, but I also bought some online from sewingpartsonline.com. I couldn't remember where I got them, but they very thoughtfully put a little sticker on the bag! Their phone number is 615-229-7171, and the part number is 102261103. It's a package of 10. I bought 2 packages, and I think they were about $5 a package. Oh, and I love my Elna!

I have an Elna 6005 Heirloom Edition. It's a good machine. I bought it used from a dealer. I did have to have it re-timed this past month, but that was because I hit something, broke the needle and evidently lost a piece of it in the bobbin mechanism.

BTW, Elna was bought by Janome and most of the feet are interchangeable. I can also use some of the snap-ons on my Singer 99...like the quarter inch foot!

I bought the Elna SU in 1972 - and still use it today! I love it. Have put many miles of stiching and hours on it, and only wish I had bought two of them and stored one for the day I finally wear this one out! Anybody have one for sale (with less hours) please let me know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast