Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance >

elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM

I've had that problem, too. Then I figured out that I was hypnotized by watching the needle go up and down and therefore "blindly" guiding the fabric with my hands.

That darn needle only goes up and down, so no point in watching it.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM

I so agree...sew for fun and if it comes out good "terrific" if not "On Well"..I found that once I took that attitude things started to come together much easier...and I always say to myself "this is home made so if it's not perfect there is no return policy...keep it and embrace the fact that someone took the time to try to make something for you..much happier and oddly enough everyone I give a quilt to seems to love it...only I know that the scant 1/4 in. is not happening !!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 PM

Another reason could be........When you press the fabric it shrinks from the heat. I had that happen, a lady was making a quilt in the box block for me and she kept having trouble with it not turning out to the correct size , after two or three times it dawned on her it had to be the fabric!!!! I had gotten some from Wal Mart--------and some from the quilting store and wal marts was the culprit.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 AM

AMEN, to that FroggyinTexas. I feel the same way. I think most of us are too hard on our selves. I enjoy sewing and being creative. I have met so many nice people since I have gotten involved in this hobby. One I have become friends with I met on here. She just lives a few miles from me and we have become very good friends. Love this site and all the good things I learn here. I am not perfect and never will be and that includes my sewing, lol. I just try to keep in mind to try to do the best I can and be grateful for the outcome, lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:15 AM

I like the MOM concept: My Own Measurement. Meaning, if I am consistent and instead of .025 I have a .032 seam, I can certainly adjust the border to fit. If all trimmed blocks are the same, the "pattern" should be relative.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM

So glad you got it solved...and without having to change the way you've been doing things all along!! Life sure doesn't get any better than that! A word of advice, get that weird ruler out of your sewing area forever.