Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Hoop Questions >

Embroidery Hoop Questions

Embroidery Hoop Questions

Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Default Embroidery Hoop Questions

I have been trying to monogram my granddaughter's name, Brynn, on a 15 x 15 blanket. I have a large hoop, 6 3/4 x 4" and I kept receiving notices that my hoop is too small. I just got it today and I'm thinking if I do the set up in a different order it would be fine. If I first set the rotation, that it looks vertical on the screen but will come out horizontal, then do the letter size next, will the computer accept that I have the correct size?

Another question....how. Do you know what is the appropriate size? I did one little blanket with the name Liam, and it was larger letters, same size blanket, 15 x 15. My husband said he thought the larger letters were too big, almost took over the fabric.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM

It would help to know what machine you have and what letters you are using. When I am monogramming on a blanket, I rotate the design on the machine from horizontal to vertical, with the bottom of the letters facing the right end of the machine. i hoop the blanket then where I want that to stitch. If I can help in any way, by doing it with my Monogram Wizard software, let me know. We Kentuckians have to stick together!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Oh you're from Richmond! Pretty area down there! I have a Brother SE400. The letters I'm using are "Brynn" for one blanket and "Liam" for the other. What's Monogram Wizard software?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:58 PM

Are you saving your lettering in the right size hoop format? There should be somewhere telling you to select hoop size when you save it. EX. 4x4 or 5x7, Most machines have it in mm though!

On a 15x15 blanket, I would not do it too large. Depending on if you use tearaway or cutaway stabilizer, you don't want the embroidery to be bulky. I probably would do it no larger than 2.5 inches.

Hope this helps. That's a pretty name!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Are you using the built in fonts from your machine? If so - reduce the size of your lettering from the Large setting to Medium and see if that works.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Monogram Wizard is an embroidery software specifically for monograms, names, etc. It has different styles, like diamond shape with the middle initial larger than the other two, very professional looking. It also has designs for ends or under and above the embroidery. You can do a search for it and check it out. I've done quite a few things with it and really like it. But if you would like me to work up something and send it to you tomorrow, I'll be glad to. I also use the PES format, so that's no problem. Script, block letters, what kind?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Hi,

I usually spell out the name on my machine, then if it says it's too big for my hoop I will rotate the name on my machine. I then hoop the blanket so it stitches the way I want the name to stitch out on it. If it says it's too long still then you have to make your letters smaller, your Brynn should be vertical on your machine screen if you are using the 4x6 3/4 hoop, top of letters on the left. Not easy to explain....lol.
If you are embroidering on a fuzzy or fleecy blanket (flannel, polar fleece, towels, etc.) I would use a stablizer such as Sulky Super Solvy or something like that on top....keeps your stitches from sinking into plushy fabrics. It's dissolves in water, looks like a plastic film....keeps your threads on top and you really do need it.
Bev
Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 AM

This is a link to a bunch of Brother embroidery groups on yahoo groups...
http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=brother+embroidery
Good Luck!! The people on the groups usually are pretty savvy about the machines they use and can walk you through just about anything!