Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machine? >

Embroidery Machine?

Embroidery Machine?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 AM

What model is a decent machine for someone new to embroidery and not too pricey?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Some of the inexpensive machines do stitch out nicely, but you are more limitied on hoop sizes, and another thing I don't like about that is that you do not have the capabilitity to do the things that the more expensive machines allow.
I would visit a dealer and look at all that the less expensive machines can do and compare them to the more expensive ones. I wish that I had waited and saved to get a better machine.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 PM

I don't know about where you live, but around here there are a few dealers who get nice machines in trade when someone wants to upgrade to the newest, fancier models. If you've got a reputable dealer near you, you may be able to get one of the more expensive models with more bells and whistles for not that much more than an inexpensive one that won't do as much. And a good dealer will give you lessons when you buy it - even if it's a pre-owned machine.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Babylock Ellure Plus, on the lower end but not cheap and it does a beautiful job, up to 5x7, and computerized, love love mine
Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrs theo
What model is a decent machine for someone new to embroidery and not too pricey?
If you have a Husqvarna Viking Dealer near you, stop in and see what they have in trade-ins or floor models.....right now they are running some pretty great sales....I agree with either getting a used machine or waiting to get a good embroidery machine.........The basic models are very limited with hoop sizes, ability to import, etc. Hope this helps...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 PM

I have a brothers and a bernina. as much as i love my bernina it's pricey and a little more to learn for a new embroidery person.I lot of people i have taken classes with have both and love the brother's more for embroidery. Price wise you get a lot of machine for the money and very easy for the 1st time user i would highly recommend but i would only buy from a brother's dealer and not a walmart.i hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 PM

You need to let your local store/dealer know what you are looking for...and not commit to buying anything as of yet...they get trade ins all the time where people are trading up.
I got a very, very gently used Pfaff CV for a steal from my dealer (they called me to tell me about it). It was cheaper than my class room used Duetta...and I love both machines...
But get the largest hoop size you can afford and the most machine that you will grow into...
It has certainly helped me quite a bit!
Kirsten
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by ohmisslizzie
Babylock Ellure Plus, on the lower end but not cheap and it does a beautiful job, up to 5x7, and computerized, love love mine

I also love my Babylock Ellure!