Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Embroidery Machine Users

Blog Entries
    I started out with Madera, but switched to RobisonAnton, and love it! I have both a Designer Diamond and a Pfaff Creative Sensation and both stitch wonderfully with the Robison threads.....I have issues with both machines with the Madera breaking.

I use Robinson Anton. Thanks for the heads up regarding purchasing from Sears--had no idea they carried embroidery thread.

I have a Brother Innovis 4000D. It will sew with anything. I do use the embroidery needles for the 6 needle Brother machines. I believe the eye is slightly larger, which may help with not having problems with fraying. The needles. Organ HAx130EB 80/12, were bought from Allbrands at their recommendation. They did say that if I was doing very dense fine work I could use the size 11, or for thicker denser fabrics use the 14. I have never had to buy those.

I buy sets of any polyster embroidery thread from Ebay. I usually get 50 to 100 spools or more as a set. I average less than $1 per 1100 yd spool. I cringe to think about the money I would have spent if I had spent $4 to $8 per spool. One of my sets is ARC thread (not from Ebay) which has +300 colors. I am never at a loss to match up a color.

I have not used rayon thread. When I bought my machine, rayon had a bad problem with bleeding when washed. I understand that the bleeding problem has been solved, but I have so much of the polyster that I just don't need any more thread.

This year at the IQF in Houston, I bought every metallic that Marathon made....in the very large spools. I am really hoping my very used Brother doesn't argue with me about this thread. lol Guess I went a little bit crazy!
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

i use Kingstar which I buy from www.embroiderystore.com. Kingstar has a wonderful shine, never have problems with shredding or breakage and the metallics run through my Janome 10001 and my Babylock 6 needle perfectly. Love -love - love Kingstar thread. I use a thread stand and the 5000 meter cones.

Blog Entries
    I use Royal, Outback, Isacord ,Robison Anton, Mills, QA and Birch. My machine doesn't seem to mind. They all work fine. I have quite a number of Maderia but they are small spools not mini cones.
    I have been collecting Royal for several years. Outback (by Glen Harris) I bought the whole range,100 mini cones for $295.00 last year. I also have quite a few RA. Picked them up for about $1.28 per 1100yd. mini cones.
    Yesterday I got 6 spools of Brother bobbin thread with a $40.00 off bonus coupon (spend $100.00) bought other stuff as well. Last time I bought batting and it already had 20% off before the $40.00.

Check out Marathon never had a problem...they have a web site

Power Poster
    I use Madera or Sulky. I love them both....

I use Madeira, Robison/Anton, Sulky and Floriani and don't have problems with any of them.

I would SERIOUSLY suggest that you buy the smallest spool from a manufacturer available, and only one spool. Try it and determine what needle works best with that brand with your machine; will your machine sew it very fast, medium or only slowly? I select a very, very dense - about 60,000 stitches design to try out thread on. If a brand will sew well in that environment I have never had it sew poorly in other designs. If your brand needs a different needle or speed for optimum usage (read to prevent breakage) keep a note of that in a notebook. Although you may prefer particular brands the time may very well come when only a not preferred brand has the exact-to-die-for color you want and you will need to know how you made it work in your machine. Also, just because brand A works wonderfully well in poly or rayon does not mean that it will be the go-to-brand for metallics. Those need to be tested separately. Some machines love metallics. Some call them MY CUSS CUSS CUSS COLORS! You have to love the independence of our machines.

I mostly use Robison Anton and Isacord. Poly mostly. I like that because it is washable and durable. My friend uses Sulky and swears by it. I haven't used it yet. I think it is mostly what your machine likes and how it is "fed" to the machine. My machine does really good if I use a thread holder beside so the thread has a farther way to go to the machine.
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by jeank View Post
    I use Metro thread. It is a lot cheaper than any of the brands mentioned and does a good job, looks nice.

I use poly. under 75 cents for a spool.
    I use metro, too..can't beat the price and it looks every bit as nice as Madiera or Isacord, or any of the high priced threads. Their variegated threads are great, too!

I mainly use isacord and love it, I also use floriani it has a little sore shine to it, both are great

I use Metro thread. It is a lot cheaper than any of the brands mentioned and does a good job, looks nice.

I use this also and buy their stabilzers and prewound bobbins. Never a problem and fast shipping.

Coats and Clark...have tried the other more expensive thread but keep coming back to them...never have had a problem and always stitches out great....
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Isacord is top quality.
    I have tried sulky and maderia so fustrating,constantly breaking.

I use a lot of different kinds; Robison-Anton, Madeira, Sulky and Floriani. Floriani is my favorite. It is shinier than the others and my machines like it better. The others work, but the Floriani has fewer thread breaks and stitch problems.

Blog Entries
    I use Isacord more then anything else but use Bottom Line in the bobbin!

I also use the metro, a LOT cheaper and does a fantastic job. Another good reason to try it out is the size of the spools compared to what you find in the locale stores. More thread per spool and inexpensive to buy.

Here's the website if anyone is interested: http://www.metroemb.com/store/

I too, use Metro, was introduced to it by a board menber, this has saved me a bundle. Works great on my Vikin Rose and Vikin Topaz. I have also got a good amount of Sulky and the Metro works just as good for me and much less expensive.

I have not had any trouble with any brand but Brother. It tends to shred. Of course I bought a box of 60 spools. I have even used regular all-purpose thread without a problem. But if it is for something special I generally use guterman. The janome prefers it. and the singer just don't care except for the brother.

I have the Brother 4500D and use just about every brand of thread there is. I have has no problems at all.

I use sulky mostly in my Pfaff. The only trouble I have is with the metallic so I've just given up on them. Shall I put them in the freezer? What does that do?

Dee
    I use C&C, but mostly Threadart. They have good thread and it is in my budget. Never a problem.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
    I also use the metro, a LOT cheaper and does a fantastic job. Another good reason to try it out is the size of the spools compared to what you find in the locale stores. More thread per spool and inexpensive to buy.

Here's the website if anyone is interested: http://www.metroemb.com/store/
    Thanks for this link!
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

I agree - Marathon is great. I always use their royon threads in either the large cones of the smaller ones - very competitive prices too.

Fahy (in Australia)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast