Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Embroidery Machines Really That Great?

Embroidery Machines Really That Great?

Seems like everything is for embroidery machines when I'm looking for patterns. I like to do embroidery by hand, old school I guess. There are some beautiful patterns I see, but they are only available for embroidery machines. I do not believe that I will ever purchase a new machine that has the embroidery feature because doing it by hand has always been a very creative outlet for me. However, I'm not to old to learn new things. So I'm wondering, is the embroidery feature that much of a treat?
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

It seems that we are the last "dinosaurs" left. I agree with your comments. I just bought a new machine last year and didn't want embroidery on it. If I want embroidery I will do it by hand.
    Sue

I used to love handwork but arthritis put a stop to most of that and I LOVE my embroidery machine!!!

Embroidery by hand or by machine is like anything else - some people love it, some people hate it. I have the embroidery module on my Bernina 440 and have not used it except in a class to learn how it worked. I thought I would use it more, otherwise would not have purchased it, and have often wondered if I could sell it, LOL. I have seen some gorgeous work done by others using an embroidery machine, but it just is not something I'm interested in doing. I am, however, planning a hand embroidery project, not having done any since I was a teenager.

I like hand embroidery, too, and don't see myself ever getting into machine embroidery. I've seen a few pattern makers (like Urban Threads) who provide a hand and machine version of every pattern, but most do not. I wish more of them did.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I had never intended to buy an embroidery machine. However, my dealer gave me such a good deal on my Bernina 630 that I couldn't turn it down.

I love the embroidery function. As a matter of fact, I pretty much use the Bernina for embroidery only. I purchased a Juki 2010q that I use for all my piecing and quilting. For handwork, I applique or cross stitch.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 combo machines (does both sewing and embroidery).

Personally I LOVE my embroidery machines, mainly because I
    DON'T do hand embroidery, and if I did it wouldn't be as neat
    or done as fast.

However I totally respect those who don't like/want an embroidery
    machine it IS a personal preference.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    I used to love handwork but arthritis put a stop to most of that and I LOVE my embroidery machine!!!
    I did counted cross stitch for many years but my vision is what stopped me from doing that anymore. I really miss it and tried it a few months ago but i was fighting a losing battle.
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    Same for me. "Old age is not for sissies."

Banned
    My mother does beautiful hand work but that gene did not pass to me. She calls my embroidery machines cheating but loves the things I make. We respect each others' work. I absolutely love my embroidery machines, in fact I just bought a fourth one. My mom mostly uses Aunt Marthas transfers, but I have bought her some designs from Urban Threads that she likes.

Cari

I love my Juki 2010Q, it is a workhorse. Does a beautiful stitch and just so strong. Does great FMQ on my mid-arm frame. Having a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by sputano View Post
    I love my Juki 2010Q, it is a workhorse. Does a beautiful stitch and just so strong. Does great FMQ on my mid-arm frame. Having a blast.
    I own two, stand alone, embroidery machines. My first was a Bernina. I used it so much it is pretty much worn out. I supplemented it with a Brother that uses the same software PES. I probably have also invested as much money in software, as I did in the machines. In the beginning I embroidered everything I could get my hands on. I like to decorate inexpensive sweat shirts etc. with machine embroidery to both decorate and personalize them. For several years most of my children and grandchildren were the recipients of my embroidery machine creations. I have kind of slowed down in the last few years. What I like best about the embroidery machine is that you set it up and push go. It stops when the color of thread needs changing. I can sew away on my regular machine and tend to changing the thread or whatever needs doing just by turning my sewing chair around on it's built in swivel. For my personal use I am a hand quilter. I would much rather spend my time hand quilting rather than embroidering by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
    Seems like everything is for embroidery machines when I'm looking for patterns. I like to do embroidery by hand, old school I guess. There are some beautiful patterns I see, but they are only available for embroidery machines. I do not believe that I will ever purchase a new machine that has the embroidery feature because doing it by hand has always been a very creative outlet for me. However, I'm not to old to learn new things. So I'm wondering, is the embroidery feature that much of a treat?
    My guess....probably not for you.

I am a dino too. I have no intention of ever getting an embroidery machine. I appreciate the nice work that members post photos of but the expensive of all that thread is horrid.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I like the machine embroidery style of Sarah Vedeler and Sharon Schamber. If I got into machine embroidery it will be doing what they do. If the cost of what it takes to do get involved in machine embroidery is a concern then don't try it. I heard it was addicting! I am thinking of getting a starter machine and do some playing around with it.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 12-07-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Old age, eyes, arthritis have put the cabosh on hand work, cross stitch and embroidery. My embroidery machine is my creative outlet now. So glad it is available.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

I hate the look of machine embroidery. It looks soul-less and impersonal and reminds me of those ugly patches of embroidery you can buy at the fabric stores. Now, hand embroidery is another story. It's lovely. Don't just get an embroidery machine because you think everyone else has one. Only consider one if you love the look of machine embroidery.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Check on eBay. I used to see some very nice vintage embroidery patterns for sale there.

I used to do lots of hand embroidery and really enjoyed it. I might have to start doing some more of it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I love machine embroidery. It is awesome. The only downside is its expensive and a huge learning curve
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I just googled 'hand embroidery designs' and came up with a lot of websites, and many are free to copy. You need to be more specific than just looking for embroidery designs.

Hope you find something more to your needs.

I do both, I love my machine as I can personalise things for my family, make quilt labels, design my own bedding, I only buy white bedding and have done for years and I like putting my personal touch on it. I still hand embroider and cross stitch as well. Horses for courses we are all different and like different things. Just like we all have preferences for machines for quilting and piecing.

A few years ago I bought my Janome MC 6600P and told the sales rep that I was never going to do any fancy work, all I needed was a good sturdy quilting machine. And I love my Janome. Two years later I am taking my first FW in to be serviced at my local Sew/Vac repair shop. I was taking it to my sister up in WA so wanted to be sure everything was in order. The repair shop is a Husqvarna/Viking dealer. He asked to show me an embroidery machine and I said I don't have $4K to spend on one, he said he had a floor model he would sell with full the warranty for under $2K. Mine is a sewing/embroidery machine and I cannot begin to tell you how much fun I have had with it. But it is true - the cost of the machine is the beginning, I was so much happier once I got the bigger computer program and instead of buying the thread one at a time, I bought kits. Luckily from QB I have found more places to buy thread at a much more reasonable cost than I can buy it locally. Oh, then the websites and the designs - so fun.

I have done hand embroidery since I was 8 yrs old - now I am 61 and I still like to do it. But my machine embroidery is something altogether different.

Blog Entries
    I have a DIL whose sister is an avid counted cross stitcher and does beautiful work. We had a conversation about my doing counted cross stitch on my embroidery machine. She said she would be able to tell the difference in something I did by machine or by hand. So that Christmas I made a machine counted cross stitch picture of a snowman family for DIL. I framed it and gave it to her. The sister couldn't take her eyes off it when she saw it, wanted to know how many hours I spent doing that. When I told her about 6 hours, she said that was impossible to do something that ornate in such a short time. I finally confessed that it was done on the machine, and she was simply aghast. She couldn't tell the difference between hand and machine counted cross stitch. So for those of you who think hand work is better, I say it is in what you love to do. My hands don't permit me to do hand work anymore. And my eyes don't permit counted cross stitch or any fine work. The embroidery machine does a beautiful job, and I love the variety of designs available. If this world had everyone with the same thoughts and opinions it would be a very boring world. I love my embroidery machines. There is a talent to finding the right colors and designing on the computer and transferring to the embroidery machine is time consuming, but loads of fun. So I say, try it, you might just find you like it at lot.

I love hand embroidery, too, but machine embroidery has it's place, too. For Christmas one year, I machine embroidered big fluffy bath towels for all 10 of my nieces and nephews. For each child, I chose a motif that fit their personality or interests, in addition to adding their names. They were a big hit.. Another year, I embroidered sweatshirts and fleece jackets for each of them. I made sure to buy them plenty big, so they could wear them more than one season. It was fun for them to have something personalized,(especially the younger kids, who often wear hand-me-downs) and they wore them until they simply no longer fit. These are both applications where hand embroidery just wouldn't have the same outcome. I still love to hand stitch dish towels and embellish quilt squares, but i also love my machine.

I've also noticed that Urban Threads sells their embroidery motifs as Machine or hand embroidery, you might give that a shot if you're looking for something a little more modern that the iron on packets they make for dishtowels.http://urbanthreads.com

Like so many other techniques there are hand techniques and machine techniques and there are artisans who come down on either side of the issue. When I purchased my new Bernina about 2 years ago I skipped the embroidery module because I don't care for it but I admire the work that is well done by others. I also think hand quilting is wonderful and I enjoy doing it. However, I spend a lot of time machine quilting because it is faster-not prettier. Time is important. I love to hand embroidery and do quite a lot of it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast