Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Embroidery only machines

Banned
    Does anyone have an opinion on which emb only machine I should consider. I don't want to spend alot. If I can get it used that would be even better.
    I only need a 5x7 field for quilt labels and ribbons

I have a Brother PE-780D. I love it. Of course you could get the non-disney version and save a little.

I just got mine. I have only made one design so far. Been busy getting my outdoor chores done. So I can get busy playing catch up on a few projects in my sewing room.

My Brother PE 770 (embroidery only) came with the 5x7 hoop. It retails for $800.00 so I don't know if that is in your price range.

Good luck on the search !!

Banned
    800 is not going to happen. Maybe I need to find used one. I would love to get Disney. I have a 5 yr old.

anyone selling one? :P

Banned
    pretty please

check ebay -- and also your local shop -- she may have trade-ins she could sell you?

I went to my local sewing machine shop where I'd purchased my machine, my serger and my 2 daughters a machine and explained I didn't want to spend a lot. Knowing that I was a faithful customer they gave me a deal on a trade-in that he had refurbished and they even gave me a 1-year warranty on parts and labor. I walked out with a Janome 300E with 2 hoop sizes and only spent $500. I absolutely love it and don't even plan on upgrading any time soon.

Banned
    well i had a janome 350E a few years ago, and I sold it! DRATS. i should have kept it.

I think I rather have the disney designs, I think Not sure how the stitch quality is.

Banned
    Called my dealer they have j 300 e for 500 but there is no USB. Abd brother 500 for 600 thsts too much for used

Walmart has a Brother that does embroidery for about $400.00. You can have it shipped to the store so there is no shipping cost.

I would be careful of the walmart machines
    the brother dealers here would not service or work on them.
    Just a thought.
    I would check about a warranty on used machines
    I mean there is used and USED!
    I have had mainly vikings and they have a use function that tells how many hours of sewing and embroidery time has been clocked on the machine.

Banned
    oh well i will just keep looking.

If I were you, I'd save up my money and get either the Brother machine or the Janome. I started off with the 350e. I would not get a machine that doesn't have the needle threader or the usb. Those memory cards are just not worth it.

Contact your local dealers though. They do take in machines on trade all the time. If you let them know you are looking for one, I'm sure they'll call you to let you know.

The Brother will run you about $800. The Janome will probably be more - a few hundred more - keep in mind though that there is a big start up cost even after getting the actual machine. You'll need stabilizers and thread too.

You also have to change your needles every 4 or 5 hours of use to keep a good clean design. I buy my needles from Discount Embroidery Supply. They are fantastic and have great prices. You can buy a lot of 100 needles for almost what it costs to buy 10 at the stores.

I have the Janome 300E and I love it, yeah it doesnt have the usb, but I have no problems with the Flash card or adapter. No worries gettin the designs to my machine form my pooter.
    If you have a look on ebay, you can get them for a reasonable price, new.

Try the Yahoo group...
    Sew it's for sale
    They are always selling things sewing related.
    Kirsten

Oh!
    I wouldn't go with just a 4x4 field for embroidery.
    I have a 6x10, 5x7 and a 4x4 on my Brother and I use them all.
    Kirsten

Babylock has a machine that is called Emora. I had a Ellure Plus & up graded to the Ellageo for the 6 x 10 field & more options. Love Babylock machines. Check real close because I think the Walmart machines only do 4x4. Look on Overstock.com they always have some good deals & Allbrands.com out of Baton Rouge, LA. You will have to spend a little money though to get a decent one.

Banned
    i never heard of Emora, is that new?

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    They aren't showing it anymore. The Ellure & the Sophia is the bottom of the line now. Sophia only does a 4x4. The Ellure Plus does have USB port not sure on Ellure. Look on their site & then do a comparison & see what you want. You can find the Emore if you look in past machines. Since it is a close out you might find a dealer selling them at a good price.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    It is the Baby Lock Emore, and I bought it couple years ago. It is a wonderful little work horse, and it has USB.

I do embroidery on my husband's company work shirts and other odds and ends like paisley work up leg of jeans.

Think they discontinued, but you should still be able to find it!

Good Luck!

I have all Babylock machines except for the 2 Kenmores that I started with. I just got the Babylock Audrey. It's a small machine-12.8 lbs to take to retreats. I also have a Babylock serger. I have had no trouble with any of my machines. Just keep checking. This is the most fun I have ever had.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaK
    Oh!
    I wouldn't go with just a 4x4 field for embroidery.
    I have a 6x10, 5x7 and a 4x4 on my Brother and I use them all.
    Kirsten
    Which Brother do you have, Kirsten? I have been looking at Brother embroidery machines, but haven't found one that takes larger hoops. TIA

I see different machine on craig's list some are emb some just sewing. Just keep checking and you will find what you want or can afford.

Whichever machine that GailR has is the one I want. Have you seen her work?

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother 150 and it has been a work horse, but on 4X4 design area sooooo i got software and a larger hoop so i just combine the designs while i sew. I now have the Janome 1400 and it has a 5x7 very happy with that too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast