Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery on patchwork blocks >

Embroidery on patchwork blocks

Embroidery on patchwork blocks

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 PM

I have three blocks ready to embroider and embellish to send to Ina May Gaskin for the Safe MotherHood Quilt Project www.rememberthemothers.net and am not sure how to get a good clear result. I prefer to do hand rather than machine embroidery. I've printed out the info - maybe will change the font - does anyone recommend a particular font? I could then put tracing paper between it and the block and trace the letters to embroider. I bet someone on the board knows a better way.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM

I have used enmbroidery on Quilt blocks and labels before with no problems, but I have an embroidery machine. I do it before batting up the quilt, using my usual stabilizer. You haven't been too clear what machine type you have. All I would suggest is give it try on a test piece that would work anyway if successful, then theres no waste, if not good then hand do it. There is dress makers transfer paper available which is good for transeferring designs/fonts. I would hoop the area with stabilizer behind for sure. Use an embroidery ring, lower your feed dogs, use your darning foot and move the ring manually,following the design on the fabric and do "writng" with your needle. hope this makes sense and helps a bit. It's what I would do, but I'm sure there are more experienced people than me to help.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 PM

Thanks very much for the advice. I have a Bernina 450 but haven't learned the embroidery part (yet). It's been enough to get used to the BSR for someone as reluctantly-techie as I am. The blocks are going to such an important project which commemorates lost young lives so it has to be done really well. I guess I'll have to experiment on scraps til doing it presentably.