Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery patterns >

embroidery patterns

embroidery patterns

Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Please explain what this is and why you need it?
We use a light box to trace embroidery and appliqué pattern. I'm sure there are other uses for them but this is what I use mine for. You place your pattern above the light and place another piece of paper over the top and trace. Works great. I love hand embroidered projects.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by taylorsgmom
I have so many patterns to create blocks for quilts and pillows. Do I really need to spend 60 bucks for a special light box? Could I use a Light Bright box? I think that we still have one from when my girls were little.

What do the rest of you use?
I have a very old light box which I got when in design school. However before that I used to take it to a window or sliding glass door. If you have a machine cabinet with cut out you can get a cheap piece of glass and lay a light bulb in a can or bowl and place it under the glass, works, think you could improvise from there. Mainly all yu need is a frame, could be a deep pix frame and a light source, Could be one of those little undercabinet flourescents from Home Depot. Good Luck.:)
Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 PM

I made my own using 1x4 boards & plywood. Put a small florescent light fixture on the bottom and bought a piece of glass for the top. I had all the material and light in my garage so a cheap project. Easier for me than the window.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM

not that i'm cheap or anything, BUT i use the acrylic table top thing that my mom got me for around my machine, & dh's mag flashlite...

so far it works for me.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM

I made my own light box with plexiglass on top and a light bulb inside....works great! Saves $$
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM

This is what I have done too.

Originally Posted by CRH
Find a clear plastic storage container of appropriate size, turn upside down and place an under the counter light under it.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM

sure why not, my husband took and old over head projector and took the over head off and made mine. we got it at a yardsale for $2.00 and so we were not out much...I have used my window but that can cause problems sometime as well, it is up to you but the light box will work as well....
Old 10-24-2011, 04:27 PM

For a light box I use a glass window from an sold storm door suspended between two card tables with a desk lamp underneath. Works for me.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM

I have to correct myself. It is not an sold storm door (the buyer would surely complain) but from an old storm door.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM

do what i did ask your reg. doctor for his old x-ray reader. they use the computer nowadays and mine just gave me one . great doc and light box