Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Embroidery Question

Blog Entries
    I downloaded a couple of free patterns of music notes, to put on a Bow Tuck tote. I'm using gold embroidery thread on top and white poly/cotton thread in the bobbin. I can't keep the bobbin thread from showing through on top. I read my manual, about adjusting the tension, but nothing is working. My tension is normally at 4. I've tried lowering it to 2 and 3 and increasing it to 5 and 6. Nothing happens. Is there something else I might be doing wrong?

TIA
    Dorian

Blog Entries
    Quite often I end up using matching thread in the bobbin to avoid this problem :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Make sure that it is threaded correctly and that there isn't something in the bobbin area :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quite often I end up using matching thread in the bobbin to avoid this problem :D:D:D
    Matching color? Or the same embroidery thread?

This is what I do also.

I don't adjust the tension I wind a bobbin of a matching thread. Black always shows through.

Blog Entries
    me too

Ok, I don't know about embroidery..but when this happens to me in quilting, I try a different kind of needle and normally that helps.

see if clear thread in the bobbin will help?

i use the same thread in the bobbin

If the thread is not metallic, you can use the same gold for the top and the bottom. I do it all the time with free standing lace

Are you using stablizer? some times if you don't use stablizer you won't have the right tension.

I try either matching , clear or a machine bobbin thread... it is lighter wt than normal emb thread... I've had the same probblem before too.

Blog Entries
    The way my machine works is if I get threads on the top of what I am sewing I need to loosen my tension as the tension is too tight - and I have had to go all the way down to almost 0 with a heavier thread. Guess what is happening is that the thinner thread in the bobbin is just not strong enough to pull that top thread down far enough (and visa versa). You might want to see if you can find a heavier thread to use in the bobbin. Thread tension problems are frustrating aren't they?

use clear thread, add extra stabilizer or use matching thread in the bobbin.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I do the same thing. Sometimes I use a matching color cotton thread but if I don't have anything matching, I will use the same thread as I do on top. I don't like to use rayon thread on the bobbin unless I have to.

Hi...I would try changing your needle...go for either a metalic needle or try a titanium....love titanium needles they solve lots of thread issues....don't know why they just do...also make sure it is big enough

My machine is very fussy about what bobbin thread I use to embroider with. Mine is a brother machine and if I don't use their bobbin thread I end up with that very same problem. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Do NOT use metallic thread in the bobbin. It will make a mess.
    Is your project hooped tightly?
    What kind of stabilizer are you using?
    If the purse fabric isn't too stiff, try using that soft drapable type that can be left inside quilts. You can snip it off when you're done if you like or leave it. Metallics don't catch as much on it.
    Good luck and let us know what you work out.

I know that you are experienced, after I tell you what I did when this same thing happened to me. After tears, waisted thread, machine in the shop, I even lowered myself to read the machines book. The answer for me? Did you put the Embroidery foot on your machine?

Blog Entries
    your bobbin thread needs to be tightened, look in your book.
    titanium needles are best, not all metallic thread is good. if it is not smooth as you slide through your finger tips, get rid if it. if it twist and turns into knots as you take it off the cone, get rid of it.life is to short to let this get the best of you. fine a better thread. yli, iscord, is better.

Have you tried using lingerie bobbin thread in the bobbin? I use this all the time for my embroidery and have never had a problem with it showing on top. I think it also comes in black. Hope you will give it a try; I think you will be pleased with the results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttons922
    I know that you are experienced, after I tell you what I did when this same thing happened to me. After tears, waisted thread, machine in the shop, I even lowered myself to read the machines book. The answer for me? Did you put the Embroidery foot on your machine?

When all else fails, read the direcctions. LOL Marge L.

Blog Entries
    If your thread is not metallic use the same color in the bobbin.
    Are you using emb. or top stitch needle ? If you havent had this problem in the past try cleaning and oiling your machine, new needle and make sure you are useing proper stablizer.
    Good Luck.

I downloaded a couple of free patterns of music notes, to put on a Bow Tuck tote. I'm using gold embroidery thread on top and white poly/cotton thread in the bobbin. I can't keep the bobbin thread from showing through on top. I read my manual, about adjusting the tension, but nothing is working. My tension is normally at 4. I've tried lowering it to 2 and 3 and increasing it to 5 and 6. Nothing happens. Is there something else I might be doing wrong?
    If that happens to me and I can not correct it is I will call the place where I purchased the machine . They can answer you question for you . I was having the same prom. with my machine I have a brother Quaffro and I was putting the bobbin in upside down.
    TIA
    Dorian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast