Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery question >

Embroidery question

Embroidery question

Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 PM

I have a Babylock Ellure. It embroiders small monogram letters, but not large enough for towels. What do I need to buy in order to monogram about 3 inch letters? My machine will only size up 10% in size.

I was told that I need monogram embroidery software and a transfer box to do this. Since this is costly, I want to make the best decision.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM

I have an Elna 8300 and am wondering the same thing! Hope someone can advise us.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 PM

I have an Ellure and I bought larger alphabet sets for larger letters, there are also fancy (different fonts) available. My Ellure is older so it doesn't have USB hookup. I download the designs to my computer from the site where I bought them. Then I hook-up my magic box converter and card (the magic box cannot be used with the new 32 bit computers). I choose the designs (or letters) and load them on the machine card. The card is erasable so can be used over again for different designs. Newer embroidery machines have USB ports so the process is much easier, no magic box needed.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM

If you go to sewforum.com you can find many free alphabets for monogramming.

just register and go to FREE EMBROIDERY DESIGNS.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 PM

sewforum.com is great. I have used several of their free desings and they also have digitizers that you can request special items from. Great site, and great members. I also purchased embird and a few of their fonts. I think you can get a free trial with embird, and you could resize your fonts and see how it works. I have a babylock ellageo and it reads the old floppy disks, and I have a commercial machine that I can import designs from my computer.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by JillC
sewforum.com is great. I have used several of their free desings and they also have digitizers that you can request special items from. Great site, and great members. I also purchased embird and a few of their fonts. I think you can get a free trial with embird, and you could resize your fonts and see how it works. I have a babylock ellageo and it reads the old floppy disks, and I have a commercial machine that I can import designs from my computer.
I will still need the transfer box to do this won't I? My machine accepts the card, not usb hookup to the computer.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Where did you find your larger alphabets? Will I be able to find them already on cards, or will I need the PTS box?
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Yes you will need a box to transfer your designs to the machine.

And the larger alphabets can be bought from different designers (just google embroidery designs and you will find plenty) or

you can download them for free on the sewform.

If you need to resize your designs, there are some free programs you can download. One of them is truesizer from Wilcom

http://www.wilcom.com.au/PRODUCTS/TrueSizer.aspx
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM

If your machine reads a floppy you can get a lot of Monograms free on sewforum. If you need to size fonts you already have I use embird and then save to the disk that my machine reads. I like the program alot and used the trial version for a month before purchasing it. I like having that option and making sure it would serve my needs before buying it.