Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery/quilting machine >

Embroidery/quilting machine

Embroidery/quilting machine

Old 10-24-2018, 03:54 AM

Default Embroidery/quilting machine

Forgive me, but I know nothing about embroidery/quilting machines. But overhead a friend chatting with a sale clerk about the subject. I'm not looking for one to make cute fuzzy animals with, but have heard that the quilting part of the machine can be "programmed" for quilting a design. How is this done? I would assume a pattern would have to be downloaded and then transferred to a memory stick/port on the machine? Then it quilts on it's own? Can someone help me understand all this....I know I'm missing something!
Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 AM
anonymous

These designs are an example of quilting with an embroidery machine. It usually takes software that you use to multiply and combine designs that will fit in your machine's size of hoop. There are ways to line up the designs so as you continue to rehoop it becomes one all over edge to edge pattern. Pretty labor intensive, but a nice option to have. https://embroideryonline.com/product...urban-elementz

Old 10-24-2018, 04:24 AM
anonymous

I should add that yes, you put your designs on a usb stick to transfer to sewing machine or wifi from your computer or some machines even have editing screens built in that you could combine patterns. Urban Elementz is one of many online stores that sell long arm quilting designs and are expanding to embroidery machines. I have not used this set, it is just an example.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:50 AM

Hi Linda,

Some machines have built in designs ready to use for stippling or quilting. You can add quilting around an applique to make a quilted block.

The other option is using an Embroidery design from a vendor. You download or send to the machine from lap top.

I have just started with some machine quilting ITH projects. This one was done with EMB squares alternating with 15 plain fabric squares. The quilt squares were sewn together, the quilt sandwiched, and hooped. I chose the design size according to the size of the fabric square.

Each square was positioned (centered) in the hoop (ITH) and the design stitched through all the layers. Typically designs are layered with batting and the design stitched right into the square. All the quilt squares are sewn together and then a backing is added using a SITD method. This can leave the backing a little floppy and I didn't want that.

I've done mostly traditional stabilized projects in the last four years and wanted to try a new technique. With this technique no stabilizer is used. I used a magnetic hoop for this method. My machine has a camera so I was able to scan the hooped quilt into the machine and adjust the placement of the design as needed. I can say you need to be comfortable with hooping and design placement to successfully quilt ITH.

This is a just a sample of the quilt alternating the EMB blocks with the stippling blocks. You can see the EMB design in the plain square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602963[/ATTACH]

Hope that helps! It is a fun hobby with lots of options and techniques to learn!
Attached Thumbnails img_2646.jpg  
Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 AM

There are many ways to use an embroidery/sewing machine to quilt a quilt. I used to do the QAYG method similar to Rhonda K's post above. I usually do a combination of methods. I complete my quilt sandwich as usual. Then select a design that fits the blocks and style of the quilt. I use a free embroidery software program called 'My Editor' for any small modifications, information, and if necessary to convert the design file to the extension that is appropriate for my machine. (HV Topaz 20 will read VIP, VP3, HUS, and other file extensions). I load the file/files on my memory stick, insert it into my machine. I hoop the quilt sandwich. This for me is the hardest part. Getting the design centered in my block. Then load the hoop into the machine and stitch out the design. I often SITD or FMQ small portions of the quilt as well. There are quilting design files that are designed especially for borders and corners/setting triangles. And as summitbay said, you can also select quilting designs that you line up to do E2E designs. This is my method. I also use my machine to make 'in the hoop" ITH applique blocks. I completed a Baltimore album quilt using this method.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602966[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602967[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]602968[/ATTACH]

The 9 patch quilt is an example of the process I use. I used a corner design for the setting triangles, a square design for the white blocks, and SITD for the 9 patch and rails. The last picture is of the Baltimore Album quilt done with In The Hoop embroidery designs, FMQ squares around the applique, and a quilting design on the borders. This was the 3rd quilt I completed, so it is a little more basic in the quilting as I was learning. It completed by making a quilt sandwich after each applique block was done, quilted, and joined to the next block using the sashing.

I love this process, and like any process, you get better as you learn, and find what works best for you. I love this method, although the machine, hoops, etc. are expensive to start. The quilting design patterns are not very expensive. Best of luck if you decide to give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   balt-album-.jpg  
Old 10-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Tamara,

Your quilts are gorgeous!

To center the block ITH, I found it easiest to start with marking cross points on the block. Then lay the top hoop center marks on the center points. Hold the quilt sandwich and the hoop together, then load into the bottom hoop. It will usually be centered fairly well.

May sound easy. Reality is... it usually takes some adjusting. LOL. Even the magnetic hoop slipped a couple of times and I had to re-hoop the quilt.

Linda, Please don't be intimidated with all the terms and techniques. You can do it if you want!

A few designs here that I have used for quilting.
https://www.anitagoodesign.com/produ...gory/quilting/

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Hi Linda,

Some machines have built in designs ready to use for stippling or quilting. You can add quilting around an applique to make a quilted block.

The other option is using an Embroidery design from a vendor. You download or send to the machine from lap top.

I have just started with some machine quilting ITH projects. This one was done with EMB squares alternating with 15 plain fabric squares. The quilt squares were sewn together, the quilt sandwiched, and hooped. I chose the design size according to the size of the fabric square.

Each square was positioned (centered) in the hoop (ITH) and the design stitched through all the layers. Typically designs are layered with batting and the design stitched right into the square. All the quilt squares are sewn together and then a backing is added using a SITD method. This can leave the backing a little floppy and I didn't want that.

I've done mostly traditional stabilized projects in the last four years and wanted to try a new technique. With this technique no stabilizer is used. I used a magnetic hoop for this method. My machine has a camera so I was able to scan the hooped quilt into the machine and adjust the placement of the design as needed. I can say you need to be comfortable with hooping and design placement to successfully quilt ITH.

This is a just a sample of the quilt alternating the EMB blocks with the stippling blocks. You can see the EMB design in the plain square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602963[/ATTACH]

Hope that helps! It is a fun hobby with lots of options and techniques to learn!
I have used my embroidery machine to quilt through all three layers of of the quilt including the backing. This is AFTER the blocks are sewn together and the quilt has been sandwiched and spray basted. Only tried it on throw size quilts however. Haven't tried on a full size quilt nor have I tried edge-to-edge quilting with my embroidery machine.

Last edited by janjanq; 10-24-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Not trying to be smart with you but, you do know that there are whole books written on this subject, right? If you don't want to invest in them a library near you could be helpful. I have bought a couple and read them front to back to familiarize myself with the how to's. It just takes some time to learn, that's all.

There are many ways to use your machine to quilt with. To start with, Sewing with Nancy had a series of videos you could watch on episodes she did on a block by block method. These are available at her site on line to watch. Also at Utube there are a few you can watch to help you feel comfortable quilting with a machine and how to set it up, needles and types of threads, batting ect.

In addition to that, you can check at a local quilt store and see if they offer classes on machine quilting. Many do and are really helpful for any questions as you go along.

Rulers are a helpful free motion option. All of it is a learning curve experience, so just jump in and have fun.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 10-24-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:27 AM

It’s almost a hobby in itself. I have an embroidery module with my new Bernina but have only played with letters. It’s an entirely new thing to learn as far as threads, stabilizers etc. I’m sure it does get easier the more you do it.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:45 AM

RedGarnet222....I've been quilting for a few years, hand, DM, and a midarm machine on a frame. I've never paid attention to embroidery machines because they did not interest me. After reading everyone's reply, although helpful, I'm still not gun-ho on the idea. Was just wondering how it all worked. And no, since I was never interested before on the subject, I had no idea about books written detailing everything. Thank you for your response.