Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Emergency Call to all glue basters...

  1. #1
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    I am 3/4 of the way done, gluing the last of the top to the already glued back and batting...I have run out of my spray baste. I am 20 miles to the nearest place to buy some. Any ideas to finish this last section of gluing the top to the batting???? Do I dare use Elmers??/

  2. #2
    Super Member bjnicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    1
    oooooh, I hope you get an answer soon. I can tell you but I'll be watching 'cause I'd like to know too. Good luck!

    (I mean I "can't" tell you!, sorry.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Thanks BJ!! This is a very special quilt too!! It's a Pinocchio center panel for my 22 year old Autistic GS Matt. He has been watching his mother and I piece it. The weather is turning cool. Matt does not have his own quilt. Two nights ago, he sneaked into his Dad's room, carefully pulled his quilt off of him. His Mom found him in the living room curled up under Dad's quilt. That's why I am trying to get this done quickly!!

  4. #4
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    I wouldn't, when the glue dries it's really hard and I feel like it will be a problem quilting.

  5. #5
    Super Member Deb watkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Horseheads, NY 14845
    Posts
    4,038
    I have used a dab of glue stick, washes right out, no problems with gumming up my needle.

  6. #6
    Crickett Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Colonie, New York
    Posts
    120
    no elmers!! just pin it.

  7. #7
    deema's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,317
    I'd pin it.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,370
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I wouldn't, when the glue dries it's really hard and I feel like it will be a problem quilting.
    Am SO surprised at the above comment as shaonschamber video THOROUGHLY RECOMMENDED for binding and said that it dried with NO ill effect----------you say that this is not so.

  9. #9
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    I'm machine quilting it, so I hate to use pins..but I just bought a fabric glue stick for an applique class..hmmm, lot of area to cover..

  10. #10
    Super Member azwendyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,076
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I wouldn't, when the glue dries it's really hard and I feel like it will be a problem quilting.
    Am SO surprised at the above comment as shaonschamber video THOROUGHLY RECOMMENDED for binding and said that it dried with NO ill effect----------you say that this is not so.
    I've been glue basting my bindings with Elmer's and it can get pretty stiff and hard. It DOES come out in the wash with "NO ill effect" though.

    I'd thread baste the rest of the quilt if it was mine (using Sharon Schamber's technique). It's quick, easy, very stable, and is easy to remove as you machine quilt.

  11. #11
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    what is Sharon Schamber's techique??

  12. #12
    Super Member azwendyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,076
    Blog Entries
    1
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjB...eature=related

    I've been using this method for larger quilts that don't stay in place as well as I'd like with spray-basting, and really like it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Don't cha just love youtube?? between it and this forum, there's nothing we can't learn!! Just watched that video and for my next hand quilted quilt, I'll be using that herringbone basting. How do you do a large quilt on a table though??

  14. #14
    Super Member azwendyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,076
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    Don't cha just love youtube?? between it and this forum, there's nothing we can't learn!! Just watched that video and for my next hand quilted quilt, I'll be using that herringbone basting. How do you do a large quilt on a table though??
    I have 3 small plastic folding tables from Sam's Club that I set up end-to-end to do wide quilts. They adjust in height from coffee table height, to table height, to counter height--I love um!

  15. #15
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    oh, I can do that!! and you've done the boards as part of the process???

  16. #16
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    Don't cha just love youtube?? between it and this forum, there's nothing we can't learn!! Just watched that video and for my next hand quilted quilt, I'll be using that herringbone basting. How do you do a large quilt on a table though??
    I have 3 small plastic folding tables from Sam's Club that I set up end-to-end to do wide quilts. They adjust in height from coffee table height, to table height, to counter height--I love um!
    oh, I can do that!! and you've done the boards as part of the process???

  17. #17
    Super Member azwendyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,076
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes, I bought some cheap MDF boards at Home Depot and covered them with flannel. They work great!

  18. #18
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,891
    Pin with safety pins and if you do not have those baste by hand with a big needle and thread.

  19. #19
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    I ran out of spray once and just used the glue. I didn't have any problems at all with the quilting. Don't go crazy with it and I think you should be fine.

  20. #20
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Elmers will work, but it would take a Lot of it to baste a quilt... I would use a glue stick for this.

  21. #21
    Super Member Carol W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,387
    I've used glue for my binding and didn't have any problems sewing through it.

  22. #22
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    I am making that same quilt with Mr P. I bought all of the disney panels and all my kids claimed them. Please post a pic of it I would love to see how you put yours together!!

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Galveston Texas
    Posts
    1,612
    Sharon Schambers uses Elmers. Just dot it on. She has it in one of her videos on You Tube.

  24. #24
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    I am 3/4 of the way done, gluing the last of the top to the already glued back and batting...I have run out of my spray baste. I am 20 miles to the nearest place to buy some. Any ideas to finish this last section of gluing the top to the batting???? Do I dare use Elmers??/
    ok Ladies...I took the glue stick advice, since I had just purchased one to do an applique class. A little loose along the last border, but as of 1 am, this thing is quilted!! I am headed to sew on the binding. When done, I'll post photos!
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

  25. #25
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I wouldn't, when the glue dries it's really hard and I feel like it will be a problem quilting.
    Am SO surprised at the above comment as shaonschamber video THOROUGHLY RECOMMENDED for binding and said that it dried with NO ill effect----------you say that this is not so.
    mayday, I use the glue baste for my binding but it's just a tiny thin line and I di try to keep it out of the stitching line.
    now that I think about it, maybe it's really more of a "hard" problem for the hand sewing part, but I do know that I have heard my machine groan :shock: if it has to make more than 2-3 stitches in the glue and I think if I were trying to move it around to be quilting it would look jerky in that spot.
    I thought she was the smartest woman in the world when I saw her using glue!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.