Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ending Quarter inch Seam >

Ending Quarter inch Seam

Ending Quarter inch Seam

Old 01-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Ending Quarter inch Seam

I don’t have trouble with the 1/4 seam except at the end of the strip. Sometimes it’s wider and sometimes it’s narrower. Any hints on ending the strip?
Old 01-12-2019, 04:30 PM

If I understand your question correctly, I found I was having the same problem. What I observed was that it happened because the fabric was getting so close to the foot that I stopped holding it and thus it shifted. I solve this problem by doing two things:

1. Keeping a hold of the fabric in the back.
2. Use a tool (I can't remember the name of it - mine has two ends - on side has a point and the other a flat tip) to keep holding the fabric all the way up to the needle.

Joann
Old 01-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Find something to use to hold your fabric as you near the end. That Purple Thang- a tool you can purchase for a couple bucks at most quilt shops, Joann’s, A long toothpick, a double point knitting needle, your scissors, what ever you find that works for you. You need to hold your fabric straight right to the end. Sometimes chain Piecing can help too.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 PM

I use the tip of my seam ripper to hold it in place. It fits where my finger doesn't.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Hold on and slow down. We've all done the opposite--mostly for the fun of getting to the end of a seam. Tendency is to let 'er fly, or to take our eyes off, or let go of the end. Just guide that baby all the way, slowing down near the end to make sure you're going straight.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes it can help if you have a 1/4 inch ridge on the right side of the foot to run the edges of the fabric pieces along. You can make a ridge by piling several layers of painter’s tape up and sticking it to the machine bed where the edges of the fabric should run.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I always use my left fingers on the fabric until it is threw going under the needle. if you let go too early, the feed dogs will pull on it. you can use a stiletto if necessary. What Zozee said.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 PM

I also will pin far enough away from the presser foot so I don't have to remove it when sewn
Old 01-13-2019, 03:09 AM

i think the name of your tool is That Purple Thing...I have several laying around, I like the flat tip to hold the strips in line to get a good seam allowance

Originally Posted by Jojk View Post
If I understand your question correctly, I found I was having the same problem. What I observed was that it happened because the fabric was getting so close to the foot that I stopped holding it and thus it shifted. I solve this problem by doing two things:

1. Keeping a hold of the fabric in the back.
2. Use a tool (I can't remember the name of it - mine has two ends - on side has a point and the other a flat tip) to keep holding the fabric all the way up to the needle.

Joann
Old 01-13-2019, 04:50 AM

I have also found that a good old wooden skewer (the kind used for kabobs) is great for holding on to that last little bit. I have also found them helpful to get the thread out from under the presser foot when I am just beginning stitching.