Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging patterns question >

Enlarging patterns question

Enlarging patterns question

Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM
lgc

Originally Posted by lvaughan View Post
OK, I'm going to jump in here with my question that has been baffling me for the last several days. LOL, hate to admit that! I want to enlarge the paper-pieced pattern, A Circle of Geese, http://piecebynumber.com/circleofgeese.htm
I would like to make it 24". How would I go about that? Do I need to cut the pieces apart and enlarge them individually? If I cut them apart and put them on the scanner and printed them would I need 200%? I know, I should know this!

Thanks,
Linda
I would enlarge the quarter 200%. When the four are sewn together it should measure 24".
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by lgc View Post
I would enlarge the quarter 200%. When the four are sewn together it should measure 24".
My problem is that each quarter of the pattern will be 12", too big for printer paper.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Finished size will be twice as big, but that doesn't go for cutting instructions. If you're using HST's, QST's, strips, etc. the seam allowances for the finished cut are already built in, and they're not always 1/2".

I'm not completely clear whether you mean that you want to make each block twice as big, or whether you want to make the quilt bigger by making more blocks? Also not sure what you mean by twice as big - to cover twice as much area, or to be twice as big in both length and width (which covers 4 times the original area).
I wanted to make the blocks twice as big as in the original instructions. Therefore, I would have to make fewer blocks to cover the same amount of area.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM

My problem is that each quarter of the pattern will be 12", too big for printer paper.
The easiest way to deal with that problem is to take it to Staples or Kinkos.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 PM

OK, I'm going to jump in here with my question that has been baffling me for the last several days. LOL, hate to admit that! I want to enlarge the paper-pieced pattern, A Circle of Geese, http://piecebynumber.com/circleofgeese.htm
I would like to make it 24". How would I go about that? Do I need to cut the pieces apart and enlarge them individually? If I cut them apart and put them on the scanner and printed them would I need 200%? I know, I should know this!

Thanks,
Linda
Yes, if you don't have extra-large paper capabilities at home, by all means take it to a copy center and ask them to enlarge by 200% - but don't forget to mark a 1/4" seam allowance on the paper once it is enlarged, so you don't have a problem about things not lining up properly.. Personally, I would probably mark an 1/8" seam on the templates before taking them to the copy center, that way I would have the 1/4" seam allowance when they were enlarged.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 AM

I hope this helps:

BLOCK SIZE WANTED (divided by) CURRENT BLOCK SIZE = PERCENT TO ENLARGE OR REDUCE
Example:
To enlarge: Size you want = 12" and Current size = 4"
12/4=3 (answer times 100 = 300%)
To reduce: Size you want = 7" and Current size = 12"
7/12=.58 (answer times 100 = 58%)
Old 03-31-2012, 02:30 PM

There is a chart from golden threads that show the % to enlarge or decrease. You lone up currents size to what you want. I use it a lot on copy machine.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I hope this helps:

BLOCK SIZE WANTED (divided by) CURRENT BLOCK SIZE = PERCENT TO ENLARGE OR REDUCE
Example:
To enlarge: Size you want = 12" and Current size = 4"
12/4=3 (answer times 100 = 300%)
To reduce: Size you want = 7" and Current size = 12"
7/12=.58 (answer times 100 = 58%)
Thank you so much for that. I want to make a quilt out of various basket squares, but some of them are 4" sq, some 5" and some 6". Now I know how to calculate this. Who said we would never use math (or was it Algebra) in the "real world". Thanks again.