Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging a vintage quilt >

Enlarging a vintage quilt

Enlarging a vintage quilt

Old 04-08-2022, 03:35 AM

I’m way too beginner of a quilter to offer any good advice, but if you do decide to add borders, maybe add something that’s an obvious contrast rather than trying to match the existing theme.

Sometimes, something completely different looks better than something that’s trying to be the same.

I’ve no idea how to tackle this technically, but would love to see before and after pics if you go ahead!
Old 04-09-2022, 05:03 AM

I once had to increase the "drop" on a quilt due to a new mattress. I did it in a weird way, but it worked. I was adding about 14 inches to 3 sides. I chose a blender fabric with all the colors of the original quilt. I made a fabric strip the length I needed to go around the sides and about 30" wide. I folded the fabric and inserted 14" batting. I quilted the long strip and trimmed it to size, leaving enough for seam allowances. (I know - not in the quilting books) Then I attached to the front by machine and attached it to the back by quilt as you go method. Used a binding strip on the back to cover the raw seam. It worked and hangs fine.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:14 AM

the easiest thing is to lay it the other way with no bottom tuck, gives a nice drop and easy to straighten in the morings like a duvet.

About 1/2 of my quilts are double bed size, I just tore a sheet in 5th's and added one as an extension on the bottom, we don't see that part anyway.