Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it enough quilting? >

Is it enough quilting?

Is it enough quilting?

Old 09-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Default Is it enough quilting?

Hello all...well, I've made a stadium quilt for my sister out of a layer cake...I made half-square triangles and arranged them in a diamond shape. So far I've quilted in the ditch around each half-square and in the ditch. And today I looked at the batting; Hobbs 80/20 cotton/poly batting...and it says to quilt every 3 1/2 inches... so, what happens if you don't have it quilted that close?

And thank you everyone, for your help!!!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:14 PM

The recommended spacing should be followed or you will get bunching/shifting of the batting with washing and use. I would add more quilting.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I quilt every 3-4", no matter what the package says. I spend too much time making a quilt for me to get too lazy to quilt it properly. I usually FMQ my quilts so quilting is closer.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

If you do not quilt as closely as the pkg recommended what happens is-- the batting ( can) separate in the large areas, it then wads up and becomes balls of batting and empty areas in the spaces between quilting lines. This happens with laundering and use over time.
For future projects always read the pkg before purchase. There are many available battings that allow up to 10" between lines - like warm & natural which has a polyester scrim the batting is punched into which keeps the separation & migration from happening.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:16 AM

I'm with the others. Too little quilting will result in a very lumpy, uneven quilt over time. Do what you can to make sure that you are at the bare minimum, the distance noted on the batting package. I, too, use W&N or W&W but never just quilt at the 10 inch mark. I probably only have 3 or 4 inches open area in anything I quilt. And never do the 3 inch open area all the way across the quilt. The instructions mean a grid of 3 or 4 inch squares. The quilting stabilizes everything. Look forward to seeing a picture after you finish.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Well, dear friends...you know how when you ask a question, and you're pretty sure of the answer, but you ask it anyway, sort of hoping you'll get the answer you want instead of the correct answer...sigh... and sheepish grin...
Sooooo, I've taken your advice and added more quilting!! I sure don't want to see it all bunched up and lumpy!! Thanks everyone for setting me on the straight and narrow!! Happy Quilting!!!
Old 10-02-2017, 03:01 AM

Can you stitch a little star or snowflake pattern in the middle of the triangles. Since it's a stadium blanket I would think a little snowflake would be cute.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
Well, dear friends...you know how when you ask a question, and you're pretty sure of the answer, but you ask it anyway, sort of hoping you'll get the answer you want instead of the correct answer...sigh... and sheepish grin...
Sooooo, I've taken your advice and added more quilting!! I sure don't want to see it all bunched up and lumpy!! Thanks everyone for setting me on the straight and narrow!! Happy Quilting!!!
Been there - done that!

You know the saying - never ask a question that you might not like the answer to!