Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ 7 is on sale!! >

EQ 7 is on sale!!

EQ 7 is on sale!!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by vickynboise
Reading the book, only, isn't always the best way for me to learn a new thing,
EQ7 has a bunch of video instructions - watching those was super helpful getting me started.

The help files are also comprehensive, but you do have to know the right key words - if you want part of a certain block to do this and another part to do that, you have to know what tools and methods will be likely to be used in making those things happen. If you at least skim through the manual, you will at least know some of the words associated with the tools and methods.

I just finished a "class in a book" about Applique Drawing in EQ and I at least tripled the amount that I knew about operating the program! LOL! Very good book - step by step, building on previous steps. Reminded me of the old programmed instruction from my Navy days. :) That book was well worth the price because I can now free-hand draw any applique design I want. :)

I also took a Quilt University class, but I wasn't very good about doing the lessons - it's hard for me to switch back and forth from the class screen to the EQ screen - with the book, that's not a factor.

The lessons seem to be as thoughtfully laid out as the book I bought and the teacher seemed just as expert and knowledgeable as necessary - it was just my own personal quirk that kept me from following along. Maybe if I'd had two monitors set up, I could have done this. I might try it.

EQ has a pretty steep learning curve, but if you want to design your own quilts, it's going to make the process so much more fun. I have found that it's almost as much fun to make virtual quilts as it is to make real ones. :)
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Thanks for your insights. I am encouraged by them. Have been considering online course from Quilt University-- except the dates don't work for me in July.
Thanks again.
Vicky