EQ

Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 AM

Default EQ

Just wondering what the difference between EQ 5 and 7. Debating on which one to buy. There is a major price difference of over 100 dollars and I have never used either. Thank you for your help, I really love the things on this board.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

here's a previous discussion that might help Electric Quilt 7 - To buy or not to buy
Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

i had EQ5 for a very long time after 7 came out. 5 did everything i wanted it to. when my computer crashed, i had a smidge of extra $$, so just upgraded. 7 have many many features i just don't use. but the interface is very user friendly with the new computers
Old 08-09-2017, 08:30 AM

You might check the system requirements to run both programs to see if they are both compatible with your devices. There's also an EQ Mini which is very inexpensive. I don't know anything about them, just that it's out there.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I would buy 7. There was a huge interface enhancement that started with EQ6, and each version gets better. If you have the latest one you will also be able to upgrade at a much reduced price when a newer version is released.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:06 PM

The biggest difference besides a few new features is checking user program.
5 you can install, it never verifies but once when it is installed.
6 Verifies once, but if there is an upgrade, you will need to connect to internet to verify again.
7 verifies every time you open it.

I double checked on all this before upgrading. I put 6 on an offline XP box and just connected to verify after installation. I had to re-verify after a new hard drive. Otherwise, I just use it unconnected to internet.

I have 7 on Windows 7 Pro which is online most of the time. It would be on when I want to use EQ7

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 08-09-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Check Quilt in a Day if you decide to go with EQ7. She has the best price I could find, by quite a bit. I use mine, but definitely not to its full capabilities.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Gay

I would buy EQ7. It does have more features- like importing your fabrics and embroidery designs (if you like those type of quilts), and more that I haven't attempted yet.
The main reason is that as computers and windows are upgraded, they will not recognize older programs. Maybe EQ5 will not work with the next windows upgrade.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:49 AM

I have EQ5 running on Windows 7 Pro. I 'restored' EQ5 when I purchased this computer. It runs ok but there are some graphic and saving glitches along the way. Everything works but just not as easy as it was when I was running 5 on my old Windows 3 computer. I agree with cashs_mom to check your computer and both versions to see which is compatible with your machine. That would be the compelling factor for me if I were in your shoes.

EQ5 does everything I need it to do for my purposes but I don't use it that often nor do I do that much 'designing' vs 'changing' a given pattern. Depends on your needs/desires.