Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
??? EQ7 block instructions >

??? EQ7 block instructions

??? EQ7 block instructions

Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 PM

Question ??? EQ7 block instructions

Hi,
I want to do the Feb 1st quilt-along with Janet Wickell. We can choose anything for the centre block which is 24 inches.
I saw a Carolina Lily block (?somewhere) and decided to make it bigger with EQ7.
This is my FIRST block in EQ7.

NOW::: - I managed to do everything up to exporting the block....but my problem is that I can't "understand" the print instructions. Example: one of the units is a flying geese ...but EQ7 shows it as individual patches.
If I cut each patch separately, I can't use any of the shortcuts like 4-in-1 flying geese.

I am sure I m missing a step somewhere.....please help?

TIA!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 PM

Did you choose rotary cutting instead of template or foundation when going to the print section? Before printing, click on 'preview' to see that the rotary cutting instructions will print out once you select 'print', which will include the measurements for cutting exactly what you will need to make the flying geese.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 PM

Yes, thank u, NanaC, I did choose rotary cutting preview. That was when I saw that each patch is cut individually. Thank u for helping!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:51 PM

EQ will help you if you're using templates or paper piecing. Any shortcuts you use, you have to figure out on your own. You could use the templates to help you figure out what size the shortcut should be....
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 PM

Thank you Peggi, I surmised as much ... a new quilter with not a lot of experience equals a lot of wasted fabric.....
Ah well, I will learn as I go..! !
Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Gay

I have EQ6, don't think there's much difference . If you go Print as 'Foundation Pattern', select the 'Sections' tab - at the bottom tick the box that says 'I want to section and number myself......'. Then click on 'Start Over', and you should be able to click on adjoining pieces like the Flying Geese bits, and 'Group'. Keep doing this for all the bits you need joined, don't forget to check out the 'Options' tab to say what size to print the block.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 AM

Hi Gay, I did group the patches, but when you click on rotary cutting, the patches are still single. I have now started the block as Peggy suggested by guestimating the measurements. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:49 AM
Administrator

go back to the patch draw tab.
delete the extra lines that turn the flying geese into adjoining half-square triangles.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 AM

Thank you, Patrice, I will look into it, and if there are lines, I will make the changes as you suggested. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Patrica is correct. Get rid of the HST lines making it a flying geese unit and that should solve your problem. I use EQ7 mostly for enlarging blocks or making quilt designs smaller. Be sure to download the free fabrics on EQ website. They also have free patterns.