Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ8 on Sale >

EQ8 on Sale

EQ8 on Sale

Old 11-10-2022, 05:24 AM

Default EQ8 on Sale

While reading a blog from Bonnie Hunter this morning, she helped to advertise that EQ8 was on sale at ELECTRIC QUILT for 25% off with code EVERYTHING. I've thought about it several times, but have wondered why if I have a ton of patterns and can follow them, would EQ8 really help me? Of course it helps a quilter to add color and fabrics to her designs (did they say 6,000) fabrics was in their system?). Well, I'm still on the fence about buying one, but if you are in the market for one, that 25% looks pretty good.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:07 AM

I had an earlier version of EQ (I think it was 3 or 4) and found myself making lots of quilt designs, but not that many actual quilts from the patterns I drafted. Still I am tempted every year.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:43 AM

Bought on sale awhile back. It takes a serious commitment of time to learn but it's a helpful tool IF you enjoy creating and/or tailoring block/quilt patterns and layout designs. I do, therefore, it has been worth the cost and the many hours I've spent learning how to use the basic software. And there are many, many features I do not (and probably never will) use. If it interests you enough I suggest also getting the EQ8 Lessons Book for self learning - it was essential for me to have something to guide me through the software. They also have EQ8 At Home online learning videos that I think I might actually purchase.

To your original statement as to would it really help if you have tons of patterns you can easily follow - if that's what you primarily do is follow patterns than I'm not sure EQ8 would be a necessary tool. I have patterns that I've made repeatedly and I've never bothered create them in EQ8 or alter them in anyway. It's really for taking blocks, putting them together, resizing, figuring borders, fabric choices, etc.. Wow, it sounds like I'm about ready to create a complicated Mystery Quilt now - hahahaha!
Old 11-11-2022, 08:45 AM

I have EQ8 and enjoy it. I frequently recreate published patterns so that I can try out different color combinations, or maybe I want to change the size of the blocks, or add a border. Sometimes I am just looking for a block for a swap or comfort quilt. I can look through the block library, pick one out, size it, and color it, then print the rotary cutting directions. Maybe I see a block I like somewhere on the internet, but I want it in a different size. I can build it in the block worktable, and change it to suit my needs. There are tutorials available to help you learn how to use it, but I would highly recommend the EQ8 Lessons for Beginners book, which is also on sale now. Kari Schell (On Point Quilter) has free tutorials and a great beginner tutorial (not free, but reasonable) called Shoot for the Stars which helped me learn the basics of EQ8 easily and quickly.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:34 PM

I bought EQ8 for less than $100.00 off Amazon Scratch and Dent Dept, because the box was ripped. Such a deal!
However, I found it not intuitive and never did learn it. Every once in awhile I go back thinking I'll try again and I leave, defeated and frustrated. I have designed a few quilts on it, but I can't make it do what I want, personally. In hindsight, I wouldn't buy it again.
If you're really into the computer thing, it might be right up your alley. I'm relatively tech savvy...I can figure things out...But EQ8 kicked my butt. I'd rather spend the time sewing or putting things down on graph paper. I have made a couple of paper piecing patterns on it. That's cool.

Watson
Old 11-11-2022, 08:03 PM

Thanks for letting us know about the sale. I am still considering buying the upgrade. I understand enough in EQ7 to do what I need. I browsed through several EQ8 videos on YouTube. There's a lot of good training info that I will use once I do actually buy the upgrade.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-11-2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:24 AM

EQ8 is a bit different than EQ7, the interface has been rearranged. Took me a little bit to get used to it, but now I think it's much easier than 7. I never did the lessons or tutorials, I just played around with it, and when I got stuck I looked up how to do what I wanted in the manual.

I think as we age, it gets harder to learn new stuff. Be patient with yourself and don't give up on it.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Linda
I hate to admit that I've owned EQ8 since it first came out....got a huge discount and dove in.
Haven't used it much at all.

If you are on the fence, there are many other free design software options available to consider-free is always a good option for deciding what you like:
My favorite is inkscape.
https://inkscape.org/
But quiltassistant is great for turning photos into quilts
https://quiltassistant.com/free-quilt-design-software
and this link lists lots of free (and free trial) quilt design software options:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+quilt...=v314-1&ia=web

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 11-15-2022 at 12:16 PM.