eq8

Old 02-15-2020, 07:01 PM

Default eq8

I have read some bad reviews but a few good ones. I want to try designing my own quilts. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot of money just to see if I can use it or if I like it. Are there any less complicated and less expensive software that you would recommend.
Evelyn in Spokane
Old 02-15-2020, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Quiltinaday usually has the best price on EQ8. I use it and recommend it. I also have Quilt Design Wizard but never use it because of its limitations. Perhaps you could take a class on EQ8 before purchasing it, just to see if it's for you.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:03 PM

I started with EQ7, and upgraded to EQ8. I absolutely love it! I find version 8 more intuitive to use, and have a lot of fun with it. That being said, it isn't cheap. They have a more basic version called EQ Mini, but it's still a bit spendy.

Do you have any friends or acquaintances that have it and would let you play for an hour or two? Try asking at a guild meeting or quilt shop.

I haven't seen many negative reviews; what do they dislike about it? Is it users like you that dislike it (consider experience level with quilt design and computer use, goals, etc). I looked up my toaster on Amazon a while ago, and was shocked at the bad ratings. When I read the reviews, though, the biggest complaint was that they didn't get consistent toasting from batch to batch when making a dozen slices of toast for a big family. I don't care about that because I live alone. For me it's amazing, so it just depends what your goals are.

There are a couple other quilt design programs out there, but none IMHO anywhere as powerful and versatile as EQ8. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some suggestions. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:26 PM

I use Microsoft Publisher. You may already have it if you have Microsoft Office suite. It isn't geared towards quilts, and it won't figure yardage, but it has great drawing capability and built-in shapes, snap-to rulers, color and texture fills, etc. I can draw and edit any shape I want, and put shapes, photos or words anywhere I want. Plus I can turn it into a pdf very easily.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:36 AM
Administrator

i'm happy with it.
i started with EQ6.
i keep buying the upgrades and never regret that, either.

it has more capabilities than you can shake a stick at.
you can learn what you need as you need it.
i like that i don't have to be an EQ expert in order to use it successfully.
there are also lots of affordable add-ons.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I've been using EQ since EQ5. I'm currently on EQ7 and it seems to do everything that I want. I'm considering getting EQ8 though because I'm such a software junkie.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:56 AM

DH purchased EQ5 for me ages ago. I have not upgraded and find it still suits my needs. Another quilting friend found a used copy of EQ5 for sale for $25 within the last year. If you're not one that needs the 'latest and greatest' finding a used copy of an earlier version might be the way for you to stick you toes in the water to see how you like it to determine if you'd like to upgrade.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:19 AM

I enjoy EQ8. It is more intuitive than previous versions. There are also tutorials built in to help you learn it.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:33 PM

I have EQ7 and upgraded to EQ8. Just recently I went back into EQ7 to find a design I'd made earlier and could not believe how much easier EQ8 is! Also, I think the website has made lessons more available and getting the newsletter (which does not require you to purchase the EQ8) are very helpful too. I'd also highly recommend purchasing the design books that go with EQ8(they are about $25 but are on sale for about $20 several times a year so wait!)as they have several "walk through" lessons per book and make excellent reference books for later.

I do not have a laptop with a touch screen or a Wacom tablet so find that trying to draw a design on my computer with just my Microsoft software or the photo editing program just is not practical. I do sometimes bring up a picture of a quilt block or top I am getting ready to quilt and with just my Microsoft Draw on it--not having touch screen makes it rather messy!
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 PM

I think today is the last day of 20 or 25% off all EQ8. I purchased EQ8 a few yrs ago for Windows & now have a small Mac in the sewing room. I purchased the migration kit on 2/15 so I now have it on both Windows & Macbook .