Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Equalizing Shrinkage Between the Quilt Top, Batting & Backing - One Block Wonder >

Equalizing Shrinkage Between the Quilt Top, Batting & Backing - One Block Wonder

Equalizing Shrinkage Between the Quilt Top, Batting & Backing - One Block Wonder

Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 AM

What to do, what to do, what to do?
After reading many posts on the Quilting Board, it appears that a lot of folks are fans of pre-shrinking everything - fabrics and batting too. And then there are others who make quilts without preshrinking anything. I’m new to serious quilting and am feeling confused.
I finally finished the quilt top for my daughter’s One Block Wonder. In this type of quilt construction, the fabrics are intentionally not preshrunk. But now I’m a bit afraid to continue for fear I will use the wrong batting and end up with a wonky quilt the first time it is washed. Below, I’ve included a picture of the fabric which is one of Robert Kaufman’s Japanese prints in 100% cotton.
So here are some questions that hopefully you will be able to shed some light on:
1. What is the best type of batting to use between a quilt top and backing if the fabric has not been preshrunk?
2. At what point in this quilt's creation process is it best to wash the quilt top, back, and batting? Should I even wash it at all? Right now my daughter intends to use it as a wall hanging, but it is also made to take down and use as a throw.
3. I steamed the heck out of the quilt top as it was being sewn together. Does that mean that the top is now preshrunk?
I’d appreciate any advice you all might have.

Robert Kaufman Asian fabric in Antique Colorway
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222919[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222913.jpe  
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 AM

When I took a class on OBW, we were told not to pre-wash the fabric when makng a OBW because you are trying to find exact landmarks on different layers. BTW, I did it with almost the same fabric and it is very pretty.

Mine is a wallhanging so I will never wash it so I dont have an answer about the backing/batting issue but I always thought shrinkage was about 3-5% on name brand fabrics.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Use Quilter's Dream Poly and you won't have much shrinkage from the batting. Most of the shrinkage in quilts is the batting. Plus it's very stable for a wall quilt.

Do not attempt to wash an unquilted top unless you want to spend several days snipping thread ravels to get it flat again!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Many make OBWs and do not prewash, I think your quilt will be just fine :D:D:D

I would not wash it until it is completely finished :wink:
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

A poly batting will not shrink, cotton will. Steaming the fabric will often shrink it. If you are worried, I would take a fabric scrap, (needs to be at least 12" square) steam press it, zigzag or serge the edges measure carefully, then wash & dry and re-measure. You can see if there is any additional shrinkage.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Beautiful fabric! I have found that the Kaufman fabrics do not shrink much. I think the Warm & Natural and Quilter's Dream battings are only supposed to shrink about 3%. That is my experience anyway. I have not noticed any problems with mine. I have had occasions where not all of my fabrics were prewashed (mixing in precuts). If you have not already done so, I would not prewash the back unless you are using something that you know will shrink a lot. Also, if you are using cotton batting, you can spritz it with water and throw it in the dryer for a few minutes. That might shrink it a bit before you use it.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 AM

Thank you each of you for all the good advice. It is lovely fabric for a OBW and came out really nice. My daughter was thrilled with it and says it reminds her of the Milky Way scattered across the night sky. I was afraid I would ruin the quilt by doing the rest of it wrong. You've not only helped me with knowing how to go about it, but you've given my courage the needed boost.