Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Estate sale find >

Estate sale find

Estate sale find

Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM

I also recommend NOT using scented dryer sheet or Fabreeze if you have asthma, they claim its fresh smelling. It is loaded with perfume.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:12 PM

If you really want to wash them and everyone says not to wash them without being quilted - maybe you sew them to a sheet, with a loose stitch, then baste them together and wash them on the gentle cycle with oxyclean or vinegar. I would probably go ahead and dry them in a dryer with a very low temperature. That should help to return the fabric to the correct shape.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM

My other half and I checked into a motel room (last one available) turn out it reeked of cig smoke. Went to the local store bought Febreeze and use 1/2 the bottle and went to dinner after we could not smell the smoke at all. This is what I would do,mist til almost damp if you know what I mean.

Last edited by kidhauler1948; 05-30-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: sticky keys not working.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM

why not just sprinkle an abundant amount of baking soda on each quilt, fold it up lightly, put in a dry plastic bag and seal it up for a week or so. Nothing to stain, nothing gets wet, shrinks, fades and you don't have to put up with another odor like perfumes (febreeze, fabric softeners, etc).
Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by imp2cin View Post
I purchased 8 quilt tops from an estate sale for $3 each! Unfortunately they smell of cigarette smoke. I need help on how to get the smoke smell out of them. The material was not prewashed. Should I wash them now or wait til they have been quilted. How can I keep the colors from fading? Any advice?
Check with your local fire dept. There is some kind of spray that the firemen used to get rid of the smoke smell in my brother's house when they had a fire in the garage. Maybe the firemen can tell you where you can buy it.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

My MIL and her family swear by Scope mouthwash- 1/2 cup per washload.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM

Please don't wash first--it will distort the shape of the quilts. After they are quilted--then wash.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Get a quart spray bottle and fill it 2/3 with plain water and the rest of the way with cheap vodka. Spray it on and iron!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 View Post
why not just sprinkle an abundant amount of baking soda on each quilt, fold it up lightly, put in a dry plastic bag and seal it up for a week or so. Nothing to stain, nothing gets wet, shrinks, fades and you don't have to put up with another odor like perfumes (febreeze, fabric softeners, etc).
Exactly! Baking soda works wonders. I put it in every load with my smoker husband's shirts. However, instead of washing them at this point, I'm wondering if putting the tops in a sealed plastic bag with one of the refrigerator containers of baking soda would work. (I've even brushed a small amount of it through my hair after I've ridden in a car with my husband. Don't know if it helps but it makes me feel better about the smell in my hair. Haha!)

I also know that newspapers, charcoal and ground coffee absorb the cigarette odor and that mildewy or musky smell.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post
I got a car once that reeked of weed (can I say that here) well that is one smell I can't tolerate I bought the strongest Febreeze and literally used up two bottles of the product before I deemed the car smellable. I wouldn't put the tops out in the sun for very long but I would try and air dry them once sprayed with the Febreeze on the clothes line or maybe in the garage. Good luck and I would love to see them
Good heavens. I'm allergic to pot smoke-----------can't be in the same room with it. But I think I'd take the smoke over the Fabreeze. I put one of those car vent things in my car--------had to roll it up in some paper, hide it in the glove box and roll all the windows down.