Ever made a mini quilt? >

Ever made a mini quilt?

Ever made a mini quilt?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 PM

What do you do with mini quilts???
Old 09-15-2012, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by benndm View Post
You might want to look at The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative at www.alzquilt.org
The sell small format quilts (no larger than 9" x 12") that are donated to finance Alzheimer's research.
The quilts are fantastic.
Great Mini!!

Many on this Board do quilts for the AAQI and a quick search and you'll find that many of their completed projects have been posted here on the QB. AAQI has a size limitation. YOu might want to check if your Guild has a max size you need to work within.

Some have been traditional quilts. Some abstract. Some liberated. ETC.
... my first was an Irish Chain complete with a micro mini flange!

Just as in any quilting ... anything goes!!

Good Luck!!! and have FUN
Old 09-15-2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
What do you do with mini quilts???
I really don't know. I have made a few this size for my cats, but I think most end up as wall hangings? They look like place mats to me, but way too much work for a place mat. For some reason, our guild has always sold them at an auction at the end of our quilt show. I have had fun making them though. Probably won't make any more.

Dina
Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=Knitnoid;5515196]Absolutely. She spoke at our guild a couple of years ago and it pushed me to do a miniature quilt for the guild silent auction. I'm glad I did it, but I don't know that I will do another one again. My quilt had 49 2" LeMoyne stars. It can be seen in this blog post I wrote. http://knitnoid.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/it-is-done/

What a beautiful quilt! I love it.

Dina
Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 AM

I took a class from George Siciliano and did one of his minis. Finished at 15" square. Love his techniques because he prints his foundation on a very light stabilizer that can go thru the printer. Then it stays in and no stretch bias edges - and there are lots in his patterns. But I've used the stabilizer technique for other foundation quilts and it is wonderful, especially because you don't have to tear out all that paper.

check out his sign http://www.georgesiciliano.com/

When I heard his lecture he said he kept getting smaller because that way the quilt fit under his machine. Note, his wife Virginia is a magnificent hand quilter.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Dina, On my 15" square mini I used 1.5 single strip - not french fold - that seemed about right on the small quilt.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM

There are lots of paper pieced mini patterns out there. I just finished a 6 inch square feathered star in tiny Halloween fabrics and a black on black. I am not sure I will make it much bigger, just add a border.

I just drew out a pattern for a paper pieced girl and four of them would make a cute small quilt. I can embellish the skirt.

Log cabin blocks are also an easy thing to make and mostly use scrap. I made a whole wallhanging with 4 inch log cabin blocks out of scraps from a civil war quilt kit.