Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever Made a Quilt With Linen? >

Ever Made a Quilt With Linen?

Ever Made a Quilt With Linen?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:18 AM

Default Ever Made a Quilt With Linen?

An interior decorator cleaned out his old fabric samples and gave them to me. There is some really beautiful fabric, but no quilting cottons... mostly upholstery and curtain fabrics of all kinds. Some of these fabrics were marked at $200 per yard!!! Who can afford that? Apparently, people who use an interior decorator around Washington, D.C.

There are alot of linens. I wonder if I can use these to make a scrap quilt? Would I need to stablize them like a t-shirt quilt? How would you use them?
Attached Thumbnails linen.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

If you are going to use them in an art quilt or wall hanging, go ahead. If you want to use them in a quilt, I would pre-wash in the sink or a mesh bag in the washer. Linen tends to fray more so I would use a larger seam and/or shorter stitch length. If really thin you can use a light weight iron on stabilizer. I have used a lot of fabric samples. Some have a label adhered to the back with fabric content, etc. You can easily remove these by reactivating the glue with a hot iron. I usually start with the paper side and no steam, but you may need to experiment a bit.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-23-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:40 AM

I'd sandwich that bird print and quilt around the leaves, birds, trees etc. then wash it or whatever test you want. if loser, toss it, if winner use in a pillow. Then you would know.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:47 AM

I've used a lot of linens and upholstery fabrics in wearables. I would wash anything you intend to use before hand. Linens can vary a lot depending on the quality but in general ravel quite a bit. I'd experiment a bit before putting them in a whole quilt.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Linens ravel very easily, so another vote for a wider seam allowance. And linens also wrinkle big time. Try a doll size linen rag quilt. It might work.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Before moving I used to live near an interior decorator, she had ( bolt ends she would sell for $5 each. ) I used many beautiful linens for quilt backs. 15 years later they are still Beautiful!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My family quilt ca. 1780 in the museum at Colonial Williamsburg has a background of linen and it's wonderful.

From my daughter who uses mostly linen in her costume making, here's the best way to wash linen:
Fill a tub with COLD water.
Layer the linen if it's in yardage in back and forth gentle folds (or just flat if you are using suitable sized squares) - eliminating fold creases by this gentle folding method and NEVER pressing down on the fabric! Do NOT press down to get all of it wet.
Let soak as long as possible or overnight; this will allow the fabric to become completely wet without your manipulating it and will allow the fibers to swell and fill which helps prevent creases.
Fill the washer with the hottest water possible. Add regular detergent and agitate briefly to mix well.
Remove the wet linen from the full tub by folding again, layer by layer, into a rectangular laundry basket and moving it then to the washer.
Wash on hot. Dry on hot.

**The first part of this process is important because it helps to eliminate creases when the linen is washed by allowing the fibers to relax.
**The washing and drying eliminates shrinkage when you use it. It also tightens the weave a bit, softens the feel, and helps with fraying.

I think you'll love using linen in your quilts!

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 11-24-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Thanks Jan... I'll try that.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:59 AM

By all means use them! I've used linen clothing in with cottons in upcycled quilts.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if there is any fabric treatment on the linen? I have some cool linen, too but I don't like the idea of fabric treatment where I sleep.