Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever trace a pantograph for use on DSM or mid-arm sit down? >

Ever trace a pantograph for use on DSM or mid-arm sit down?

Ever trace a pantograph for use on DSM or mid-arm sit down?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Default Ever trace a pantograph for use on DSM or mid-arm sit down?

I like experimenting but can't draw to save my life, but I can follow a line LOL Have you ever tried tracing a continuous line pantograph on paper (so pantograph is reusable) and then sewing on the lines? There are so many cute pantographs out there. I'm not sure I would do it on a king size quilt, but on a baby quilt it seems doable. I have a Tiara II. Your thoughts?

I recently copied a couple single line images from a coloring book, traced them on cardboard and cut out, making my own stencil of sorts. I then used Crayola Washable Markers and randomly placed them on the baby quilt, incorporating them into a meander. That worked well, so thought a pantograph might too. There are so many theme based pantographs I am dying to try. Here is my practice piece using the meander:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511669[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf4428.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 AM

Wow that came out cute. I don't know why that idea wouldn't work but you would want a thin paper. I think they actually make some that have sticky on both edges so it will stay down but you could just use painters tape.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 AM

I have traced patterns on the old "onion skin" copy paper, pinned them to my quilt top and then stitched them with my walking foot. The onion skin paper tears off easily.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM

I have found quilting patterns online that I could draw on my own, usually adding my own personal swirls or curls. I can then transfer that drawing to a piece of plastic to cut out and use for a template....then marking the pattern with a washable marker. It is a bit of work, but if your fmq skills require some assistance like mine do, then using a stencil/template is a good option. I can usually see what I want to do in my mind, but transferring that picture to the quilt via fmq never turns out quite like the vision....LOL.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:12 AM

Re: the paper. I have used Golden Threads or a quilters tracing paper I bought at JF for block stencils before, then sprayed with temporary adhesive, just pinning at the corners, and that seems to work well. A large 1" x 2 1/2" white pencil eraser rubbed across the surface of the paper seems to grab and tear most of it off. Washing gets the remainder.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 AM

I have done a queen and a king size quilt using parchment paper and strategically pinning it to the quilt and quilting. After my DH rips, as it tears easily, while watching anything sports. I usually get parchment paper at Sam's or Costco (have also picked up at Dollar Tree) for a good price. Cut paper to the width and length of the panto needed, then I trace using my glass sofa table top. Works for me!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:01 PM

Great idea, I am also challenged at drawing. The Dinosaurs are so cute!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM

A friend of mine managed to get her hands on a roll of the paper that is used on doctor's examining tables. She draws her design on it and then uses her long arm and sews on the top of the quilt. Then she tears it off. I don't know where she got it from, but you might ask a doctor friend. I found them on a Janitorial site http://www.janitorialsupplies4less.c...ducts_id/40858

I have pantographs that I have bought and have considered using parts of them in different designs. I think I may try it on some roll of paper. I do have a roll of parchment that I bought at the grocery store. Does anyone know if you can run it through a printer?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:06 PM

I bought a pack of newsprint for paper piecing, and that works well with my printer. Since it tears away easily, it'd probably work for this, as well. I found it on amazon.com and it was pretty inexpensive.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM

EmiliasNana, your quilting looks wonderful. What a great idea!