Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Ever Use Flannel for Batting?

yep flannel works! I like it for wall hangings and preshink it and use it for table mats and runners...

I'm a beginner but I don't see why flannel wouldn't work. I have been thinking about using fleece for batting. It will lay flat very nicely so I am going to try it.

I like your bear. very nice job.

The bear is all finished. The flannel worked great. It's a nice heft and the stitching went well. I didn't want to have to use a walking foot because of the many sharp turns on the applique pieces. The thickness of the flannel allowed me to use my regular foot.

Blog Entries
    Great job.

Very cool!

Wonderful bear ! I've used flannel as a batting. Had no problems with it.

Beautiful picture - nice job. Don't see why flannel wouldn't work. I quilted a wall hanging for a friend that had flannel for batting and it worked just fine.

I haven't used flannel, but have used fleece which give a nice dimension with machine quilting

I've used flannel for batting on baby quilts and wall hangings.Love your bear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I'm making a small (very small) wall hanging. It's raw-edged applique with lots of tiny little pieces. (I guess I'll post a picture.) I'm thinking I want to use the top-stitching as quilting, but I want a thin batting. Is there any reason I shouldn't use flannel instead of traditional batting? It won't ever be washed, so shrinkage isn't an issue. I just want to make sure I'm not committing myself to a disaster. It's from a kit a friend asked me to do, and let me tell you, it's been a bear. (No pun intended.)
    I would still wash the flannel first, but I have used flannel just fine. I would wash it because someday, someone else will have it, and may want to 'freshen' it. (Just MHO)

I use flannel for batting for what I call "wash quilts." I make a quilt sandwich with top, one or two layers of flannel and backing.. (Flannel and backing should be about 4 -5 inches larger than the top. I then stitch lines one inch apart either a straight stitch or a small fancy stitch. After the layers are sewn together, I wash it in hot water with retayne ( to preserve the color fastness) and then dry on low. I wash and dry it about four times. The flannel shrinks about 5 - 10%, causing lots of nice little puckers. Using the retayne keeps the colors bright. These quilts are great because you can wash them whenever you wash your sheets, if you want.

Good info. I can imagine this would be good for baby quilts. Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3