Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ever wonder about the quality

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I'm curious as to what you call "fun errors"?
    Little things, one was quilted with words, hope, love, joy so I quilted all the words around the borders with one side spelled wrong, here or there not every word and only on one side. Another one I did meandering with variations of small items quilted in a flower, a heart, a moon, just a mish mash so it would be a distraction and something to look for. I'm hoping this has helped pass the time.

Blog Entries
    I'm still new at machine quilting and I'm still in the "oh, well, I'm just having fun and learning" phase. I'm making some quilts to give as gifts, so they have to be decent, though! I know after hours and hours of working on the same quilt, I'm pretty over it, and then I have to switch to another quilt or I'll tend to get sloppy.
    I don't fret over little mistakes, like if I cross while meandering (because I'm still not very good at that!); I only rip out if it effects a portion of the quilt. I do have puckers on the front and on the back, but if they are bigger than 1 or 2 stitches, I rip it out. But if it's just a little one, I let it ride.

I'm hoping it will all be ok after it's washed and dried lol!

I am the quilter who goes to a quilt show and is "intimidated and inspired" at the same time. Intimidated because I don't think my quilting (or piecing) is up to snuff. Inspired because I can see myself making a similar quilt. I, too, am my own worse critic. I need to remind myself that the "quilt police" have no jurisdiction in my house. Most people I have shown my quilts to love them, but I always wonder if they are just being nice. We all need to stop being so hard on ourselves. Easier said then done...
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

When we start trying to be perfect, the pleasure of quilting has been ruined. I'm sure our grandmothers and great grandmothers could say the same things about the quilts they made but we seem to think they were perfect quilters. NOT SO! They were quilting by hand and sometimes there were several women working on the same quilt. That's how quilting bees began. It's hard to believe that all those women quilted on the same level, with the same stitch lengths. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Blog Entries
    Used to feel that way too but not anymore. Had to sit myself down and figure out exactly what I was after when quilting and discovered, for me personally, I wasn't interested in winning any contests with super fancy work. It was fine for others and loved to admire their workmanship but, for me, I preferred utilitarian quilts...not because it required less work but because I enjoyed the simplicity of it. I still put a lot of care into each one, square up each block, choose pretty color combos and receive many compliments when completed but I don't sweat a mistake or two because they are meant to be used.

Blog Entries
    Awhile ago, a dear friend was having mega-troubles in her life, so I set about making a quilt for her to wrap up in. Long story short, quilt got done...it did not turn out as envisioned, but sent it anyway. She LOVES it, and wraps up in it every night!! So to non-quilters our work looks good. I loved it that she only gave compliments!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have been quilting for more than 40 years. I am a handquilter and that part I have down pat. The piecing etc. are always a chore. All of my quilts are made to be used. The important part for me is that the item gets finished in a reasonable amount of time. Fabric is not a finate medium. The older I get the less willing I am to drive myself crazy reaching for perfection in the piecing etc. My husband is a machininst and he tells me that even metal can stretch and warp due to temperture changes etc. Fabric is much less stable. If I spent all of my time trying to be perfect none of my quilts would ever be ready to use. I am amazed by the quality of the piecing in the quilts that are posted on this site. I wouldn't begin to attempt most of them. I would however enjoy handquilting them.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    generally WE are our own worst critics....walk away and then take a look again..it is just wonderful!

If you REALLY want to feel depressed about your quilting, go to a quilt show, especially a large show. LOL LOL I have been quilting for nearly 30 years and have definitely improved over the years but I feel the same way as you do. Recently, I was putting together an applique large wall hanging, got to a certain spot and decided it was so bad that I came "that" close to throwing the whole thing away. However, I had so much work into it that I just shoved it up on a shelf. Much later I came across it , got to looking at it and it didn't seem so bad after all so I am now in the process of finishing it. Hang in there, it is surprising how much your work seems to improve when it gets a little age on it. LOL
    prolific hand quilter

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

Besides, I figure imperfect quilts are more likely to be used. If parents see that the points don't all line up they may realize it was never intended to be an heirloom, and let the baby use it!
    I love the way you think! My quilts will definitely be used!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I truly thought it was just me. I have been quilting for many years and couldn't wait to retire so I could quilt all I wanted. We also moved to a new town and I do not know anyone except a couple of neighbors. I'm needing some friends now that I have those first few weeks of getting settled and actually finishing up some UFQ's. I have put off attending their quilt guild because I think I am just not up to the standards. But today, after reading these comments I am going to go to their Monday Morning meeting. I've never met a quilter I didn't like and who wasn't friendly. Plus I know from previous experience with a quilting group I always learn something that improves my work. Wish me luck.

My most recent quilt has several blocks that truly do not match up and its obivious. However, I chose to leave them - I'm not perfect and it kinda adds to the scrappy feeling of it - so I left them. I was viewing a quilting video last week and it was so out there her corners don't always match either. So I stopped being so hard on myself and I am loving my newest quilt.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

I, too, have been quilting not quite 5 years and feel the same way you do. I always tell myself at least THIS one was good practice and the Salvation Army will be happy to accept it. But my quilts rarely go there in the end, usually I come to terms with them somehow....

I agree with kapatt, I recently saw a quilt that I had made about 15 years ago for a friend. I was amazed how beautiful it is as I did not remember that quilt being great and I know I have made better ones after that.

When I started quilting I joined a local guild. There were several excellent quilters in the group who were very generous with their help. I would look at their work and would be very critical of my work. I was a very good sewer, but had never quilted so it was a whole new learning curve. When I look back on those quilts I have to admit they look pretty good. I was just too hard on myself.

Now 16 years later I am lot more confident and accomplished, but I have to admit the first projects were lots more fun even though they were not as well done. So much of my time is spent trying to bust stash or finish class projects or old projects that have been sitting for a few years. I seem to have lost the thrill someplace. I hope to get back to that excitement even if the work isn't perfect. Donna C

I just finished the mccalls mystery quilt and showed the top to my volunteer ladies friends at the food bank last week. I told them I made so many mistakes and proceeded to point them up. All three (we do the repackaging in the kitchen) so if I had not said anything, they would never have noticed. From now on, I will just keep it a secret. LOL......

Being self critical can help us learn to do better. It can also take all the fun out of what we are doing. I know I am my own harshest critic. Over the years, I have learned to never point out my mistakes to anyone. I just make a mental note not to make those same mistakes again and move on. I quilt for my own personal artistic outlet. I do not quilt for money or for shows. Every recipient of a quilt from me, knows that it signifies being wrapped both literally and figuratively in the warmth of my love. That is plenty for me.

I found my self doing that last year with my church raffle quilt. I was really enthusiastic when I began, but then it began to look 'ordinary'. I donated it and one of the church ladies took a picture of it and I thought it was awesome. Guess that I just had to get away from it.

Blog Entries
    Yes sometimes I look at a quilt and think I should have chosen different fabric or a different color. Some quilts I still like them when I'm done some not so much.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I think it's hard to be objective when you just finish a quilt. When I look at a quilt that's a few months old it's easier to appreciate it without nitpicking and looking for mistakes.

Thanks everyone. I am too hard on myself and I am not even a perfectionist. I know because my friend is, and when we work together it is ever so obvious,ha! I feel better after reading the post from everyone. My neighbor came over and just drooled over the 2 latest projects (which is the ones I questioned), and she has made everything and is a perfectionist, but she just thinks my quilts are darling. One that you can use and love and enjoy. She said she brags to everyone about my quilts. Sure made me feel good. I think I will put away these 2 latest projects and get out later in the fall. I just have looked to closely at them is all. I do enjoy reading everyones post.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    Ever wonder about the quality of your quilting or am I too hard on myself? I have been lately comparing my quilts to others I guess. I tell myself not to do that and I know I have improved in my 4.5yrs of quilting, but other peoples quilts is just beautiful. I sometimes think I have just looked at the material to long and by the time I am done, I think it's ok,but not breathtaking by anymeans. Is this common? Your thoughts might help me get a handle on my thinking! Thanks!
    I can't compare myself to anyone else or I'd have to shoot myself or go back to knitting only!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I have that same problem. I am finishing quilting a (very late) top I made as a graduation gift for a friend's son. Sales person, my friend and I thought the fabrics fabulous in the store. But now as I look at it, I feel it is too much yellow. I am using blue variegated thread in the quilting as that is his favorite color to try and tone it down.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I guess I'm in the same frame of mind sometimes. Just finished an Ohio Star for a very deserving young man who left the Air Force a few months ago. As I was quilting it, I found a small pucker in one of the sashings and by then it was too late to fix it. You know the saying, Only God is perfect. I think we all have to remember that! Regardless of how perfect or imperfect a quilt is, they're all beautiful because of the colors and/or design and the love we put into them. Where are you in Illinois? I grew up in Central Illinois, graduated Illinois State in Normal many years ago.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

We all do the same thing. We can see all of our mistakes, but most of the time we don't notice the same mistakes someone else has made because they are not noticeable. You should not compare yourself to someone else. We all do things differently and we each have things that we are better at doing than other things. Some of the time I think that the simple quilts are much better than the quilts that have all that machine quilting on them. The simple quilts that granma made for us are made with love and that is the esence of a quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast