Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM

What a Lovely story. My mother, who taught me to piece and quilt a quilt was a perfectionist. I would quilt and she would come along behind me, remove my stitching and make me do it over. If it wasn't up to her standards, she again would remove the stitching but then, she would do the stitching to replace my 2nd try with her own. Mine wen't bad, just a little longer than hers. Yes, it can be very intimidating.I laid my quilt making aside until my oldest son got married. I made his soon to be bride one for her shower gift and have been making quilts ever since. That was 30 years ago and can't really count how many I have made since. The one thing I do remember is making over 200 small quilts, single bed quilts in two years. No, I didn't sell them, I donated them to a local Veteran's hospital.

My son tells me I am an artist personified, what ever than means. Should get out my old trustee dictionary. Never tought of it as any big deal.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 AM

My approach to quilts is that it must be foremost functional. I hope to hand down memories and warm hugs.

My mom had so many nice things to "save for good" that they were never used and no one in the family has a connection with them. They're just things that I'm moving on.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 AM

I quilt because it pleases ME, gives me joy and makes me happy. Will stop when all of this stops.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 AM

I couldn't agree more! I just finished a New York Beauty (88" x 96") because I wanted a challenge and wanted to "prove" myself. Well, it's done (pictures to come, eventually), but I'm not sure it's any more satisfying than many of the simpler quilts I've done. Sure, it may be a work of art, but from what I"ve heard, the average non-quilter certainly doesn't think it's any better--and it took me eight months to finish!

I also read a thread on here recently that basically trashed smokers and the "stink" on the fabric. I'm not proud of it, but I'm a smoker. Yet, I've never had a recipient of any of my quilts be moved to anything less than tears by my gift of a quilt. Perhaps the smell bothers them and they just don't say anything, but from the prominent display and use of the quilts I think this is unlikely.

What I'm getting at is that I have to remember that I quilt because I love to quilt. I don't need to do it for anyone else's approval, or to prove myself to anyone. The day I start doing that it becomes a job, and the fun is gone. So, keep taking the challenges if you love a challenge, but once in a while do something simple with pretty fabric just because you can!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Yes yes I totally agree!! I think when you hit 30 you suddenly get smarter! Good for you and ENJOY quilting, I do and I do my best but I'm never going to be a pro!!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Every quilt is a masterpiece!! You made it, so that makes it a masterpiece in your eyes, and don't let anyone tell us different.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM

I love this discussion line! I quilt for myself also. It takes me away like nothing else seems to! I buy mostly fqs & enjoy creating colorful quilts we them. This I do for me, doesn't matter if others like, or not, but most I show do. I think any challenge, or wanting to try anything new, should come from within, not from outside pressure. I was raised by a control freak, perfectionist mother, although she wasn't in her personal life, she just did it for show. So I still work on getting past this too & not letting what others say or think, really matter. I don't quilt to please them, I quilt for my own inner peace & happiness. Not as a job either, or I would quit for sure! Just follow your heart & quilt for the love of it, & always, enjoy the journey!....I love your avitar quilt too, it's beautiful, great job!....
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Totally agree. Quilting is for, not to please everyone else.

mltquilt
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 AM

WOW - you've made my day! I just became a member of this board, and was lamenting that my work isn't perfect. I have only quilted for about a year.... Learning so much, and enjoying it.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
This is the lesson I am slowly learning. I have been quilting for 6 years, and as a new quilter I surrounded myself with some of THE most knowledgeable, and intimidating quilters in the area. I was 24 years old, green and new to the quilting world when I began. As I progressed I felt like I had to do BIGGER, BETTER, and GREATER to be taken even a little bit seriously by these women who were much older than me and knew what seemed to be SO very much more than me about quilting. If I wasn't getting snubbed for my age I was getting snubbed for my skill level. I am an artist at heart, all I wanted for years when I was young was to go to art school. That unfortunately never happened for me as I started a family early, and many of you know just how hard it is to go back to school with small children. But it was a blessing, truly, because my family is my world, and making a quilt for my daughter was what brought me to find my life's passion in quilting. All of this combined with a really awful experience with a quilt shop owner who hired me to teach a class but then treated me so rudely as if I didn't know a darn thing I was talking about has left me with this need to prove myself artistically and I feel like for the past several years I've been on this personal MISSION to prove to anybody and EVERYBODY that I am capapble, I am skilled, and gosh darnit, I'm artistic!!!

You know what? I refuse to live with that insecurity any longer, I know who I am and what I can do. Here I am. I am 30 years old, I'm a Mother first and foremost, second a wife, and third I'm a dedicated quilter. I have finally learned that FOR ME, every quilt doesn't need to be a masterpiece. Every quilt that I create does not have to knock everybody's socks off, and it doesn't have to encase all the techniques I have learned in the past 6 years to PROVE that I am a capable quilter. That is not to say I don't do the best I can with every quilt, but a corner that doesn't match perfectly doesn't always need to be ripped and resewn. Every project doesn't need to be the hardest and most complicated project I've ever done. I adore challenging projects but a simple nine patch quilt can be just as satisfying to complete as the most complicated paper pieced mariners compass.

Thanks for the vent. Just thought I'd share that little revelation, because I know I'm not the only one who feels like they need to prove themselves to the local quilting veterans. ;)
Good for you! BTW when I went to college my parents insisted that I take a practical curriculum which was business and accounting, it didn't hurt but what I really wanted was art. So 19 years later as a mother of 3, I went back to college and got the art courses and a degree in Interior Design. I was 46 when I graduated, and I will tell you it is never too late and the main reason I WENT FOR THE DEGREE was snobs who discounted what one can learn without it. I took courses at night for many years until there were none left but the day classes then did part time for those. I was also working at the time in the industry. As it turned out my 1 year of practical experience working put me at the top of the class. GO FOR YOU DREAM!! :thumbup: