Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Exactly What is a Quilt? >
  • Exactly What is a Quilt?

• Exactly What is a Quilt?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 AM

I think the quilting organizations have more evolving and accurate definitions than general dictionaries. These are the people who know best what is going on in the quilt world today.

The American Quilter's Society (AQS) says:
    the generally accepted definition of a quilt, i.e., a layer of batting between 2 layers of fabric, with some type of quilting or tying holding the layers together

The National Quilting Association (NQA) says:
    Quilts must be made of fabric, have three layers, and contain quilting.
    Quilts created as art quilts, reflecting innovative construction and design techniques, theme or subject matter and/or materials.

The Quilters' Guild of the British Isles says:
    Definition of a quilt: The structure of a quilt is traditionally three complete layers but a minimum of two complete layers may be appropriate. Stitch or other elements must pierce these layers.

Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) says:
    a contemporary artwork exploring and expressing aesthetic concerns common to the whole range of visual arts: painting, printmaking, photography, graphic design, assemblage and sculpture, which retains, through materials or technique, a clear relationship to the folk art quilt from which it descends

A very wide range of ideas, don't you think? I say, if you call your work a quilt, then that's jolly well what it is! :D
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Beautiful quilt artwork.
    Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Its beautiful.
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 AM
    Power Poster

Very nice quilt!
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 AM

Does it really make any difference what you call it? If you want to call it a quilt, call it a quilt. If you want to call it a quilted wall hanging do that. I just call it beautiful.

I really don't think it makes any difference what you call it as long as you put love and inspiration into it.
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by schwanton
    I had a challenge for my guild. I made a small little quilt with decorative stitches and embellishments. I then layered, quilted and put on binding. My husband said "it's not a quilt". My daughter said it's not a quilt because a quilt is something you sleep with. Well, I use the term quilt no matter what the size and I did "quilt" it. What is it we are doing if we are not quilting?
    A tempest in at teapot. Abraham Lincoln once asked his cabinet, "If I call a dog's tail its leg, how many legs does it have?" After all had said, "Five," Lincoln said, "Four. A tail is a tail and a leg is a leg."

To my dismay, after consulting old fashion paper dictionaries and on-line dictonaries, I find that they all agree that a quilt is a bed covering, a defintion with which I do not agree. I suppose that means that all those quilts I made for DGD's dollies are not really quilts.

However, I found a couple of definitions that will re-open the battle over whether it is proper to call a quilt a blanket
    because embedded in them is the word "blanket" as in "a quilt is a blanket..."

The quilt you shared with us is absolutely lovely! Thanks for sending the picture. froggyintexas
    Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 AM

We can quilt a lot of things that are not actually quilts. I think of a quilt as a bed covering. The others are table runners, wall hangings, placemats, potholders, and the like.
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
    We can quilt a lot of things that are not actually quilts. I think of a quilt as a bed covering. The others are table runners, wall hangings, placemats, potholders, and the like.
    Or purses. Is a quilted purse a quilt?

This is one definition. As I said in my above post, I don't think anything will be settled. There are people on both sides.

http://www.apparelsearch.com/definit...g/quilting.htm

Do they accept purses as entries in quilt shows? Do they ever win prizes? I'm actually curious about that--not just asking.
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Very pretty, I would call it a quilted wallhanging or fabric art. A quilted quilt is also fabric art. It still very beautiful, what ever you may call it.
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM

I agree with "Art Quilt". That was the first thing that came to my mind. And by the way, it is gorgeous!