Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Excess batting and backing >

Excess batting and backing

Excess batting and backing

Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 PM

I trim 1st.then bind.........I often straight stitch after it is squared up......then trim: then bind....I have always hand stitched the binding on the backside...
Many have asked why I do it by hand. I cannot answer except that seems to be the "purist way"
Enjoy your Easter season !
Old 03-28-2010, 06:09 PM

I trim and square up first, then bind.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I used to trim mine, then sew on the binding with a 1/4" seam. However, now I square up the quilt first and mark the squared-up line with a Sharpie permanent marker. Usually I do a fairly big zigzag stitch outside the marked line to stabilize the edge, then rough-cut outside the zigzagging. The marked line clearly shows the edge of the quilt, so I line up the cut edges of the binding with the Sharpie line and sew the binding on.

Only after the binding is sewn on do I cut the excess batting and fabric away. Before I cut, I pull the binding over to make sure the binding will be filled. This allows me to make any minor adjustment in the 1/4" seam allowance so that the binding folds over the edge perfectly.

This system works really well for me.
A very important part of doing the binding is too have the binding "filled" with the seam allowance. I notice Prism99 is the only one mentioning this step.

lov2stitch
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 AM

If you are going to have your quilt judged, they look for the batting to completly fill the binding. I stabilize the edges, square up and trim exactly after attaching the binding, but I trim pretty close before so that there is not extra bulk.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 PM

I always trim first. No matter how careful I try to be, my last border is always off just a smidge. So, I measure from the seam of the last border and then cut. That way, my border is the same width all the way around and I have a perfectly straight line to sew my 1/4" seam on the binding. I do leave pins in the outside border until the binding is sewn on so the layers don't shift.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

I trimmed mine on the doll quilt first. Penny
Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM

I trim first,because I usually use the excess backing around the quilt to make my binding, then I know I have enough fabric to go around
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM

We had a quilting judge attend one of our Guild meetings as a speaker recently. She told us that judges check to see that the binding is filled with batting. I had always trimmed fairly close before binding prior to this, now I am going to make sure the binding feels full so to speak. Her visit was very very informative, to all of us, even our most 'seasoned' quilters.Now isn't that a nicer way of naming quilter who have quilted for years. lol Gerbie
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM

This sounds like a great way to do it. I'm going to have to try it. I don't cut mine off until after I sew on the binding. Then trim, fold over and sew the back.
Originally Posted by Prism99
I used to trim mine, then sew on the binding with a 1/4" seam. However, now I square up the quilt first and mark the squared-up line with a Sharpie permanent marker. Usually I do a fairly big zigzag stitch outside the marked line to stabilize the edge, then rough-cut outside the zigzagging. The marked line clearly shows the edge of the quilt, so I line up the cut edges of the binding with the Sharpie line and sew the binding on.

Only after the binding is sewn on do I cut the excess batting and fabric away. Before I cut, I pull the binding over to make sure the binding will be filled. This allows me to make any minor adjustment in the 1/4" seam allowance so that the binding folds over the edge perfectly.

This system works really well for me.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 PM

I baste around at 1/8 inch thru batting backing top then trim all off before I bind.