Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Expensive but beautiful

Beyond amazing! Her work is expensive but the patterns and kits are not. Sounds like a great learning source if you are into that type of quilt. (and I am)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sculpyfan
    I just stumbled onto this site and had never heard of her but love her work http://www.bryerpatch.com/images/qui...ec_newdawn.htm

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Her work is wonderful, thank you so much for sharing. I LOVE this one http://www.bryerpatch.com/images/qui...udy30_118k.jpg

To my mind, it is these wonderful quilt artists who will keep this craft alive and especially interest the younger generation in quilting. There is nothing wrong with tradition but it is so exciting to me that quilting can be an art form in it's own right. And pieces like this are worth every penny in the same way that an oil painting or a piece of sculpture by a fine artist is. :-D
    Oh, I so agree with you! I appreciate traditional quuilts, but I myself prefer to make my own patterns from a drawing or use a pattern where the print of the fabric is the main focus. I just did some hand dyeing, so that will be another direction for me to follow too.

Blog Entries
    Stunning. Thanks for sharing. She's an artist from the ground up! She can do it all, plus broaden the horizons in the quilting genre! I applique but nothing like Caryl! I would love to create quilts similar to hers but need more practice and creativity.

Blog Entries
    I've seen a lot of her quilts in person and the colors are beautiful to look at but the design of the quilts are not something I like or want to make.

Quote Originally Posted by bevster
    Expensive is RIGHT! Beautiful, beautiful and what detail and made for shows. I prefer to give mine away to those I love and $64,000.00 can't buy that!
    If anyone ever offered that for a quilt I made I would have them commited , right after I took the money and ran. LOL
    I love her work. If I had the patience to spend a year or more working on one maybe, just maybe I could get close to what she does.
    as for handdyed fabrics I have a hand dyer that I found on ebay years ago. She has done some custom work for me and she is terrific Hopefully I can find and get started on the last batch she did for me. Gotta love moving. lol

Thanks for sharing!
    Beautiful work and an amazing artist!

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    Beyond amazing. Worth the fine art prices I'm sure, but no more valuable than the one that can be cried on, peed on, puked on and machine washed to serve a child another day!
    Ditto

On the "Wings of a Dream" for $61,000 is my all time favorite quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Beautiful work, But not for me!!!
    It is beautiful but it doesn't look like a quilt to me.She is very talented it just doesn't appeal to me,I like quilts you can put on the bed

Blog Entries
    They are all so beautiful,-but very unusable and if my Little Clem can"t whaller it into a ball to sleep in we have no use for it :-P

Definitely an artist. She does beautiful work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    Beyond amazing. Worth the fine art prices I'm sure, but no more valuable than the one that can be cried on, peed on, puked on and machine washed to serve a child another day!
    AMEN SISTER!

She is one of my favourites - I have been following her work for years. David Taylor and Ricky Tims are on my list as well. Hollis Chatelain is another one to watch.
    By the way, I don't think that they are expensive. They are pricing their art for what the think it is worth and not underselling themselves. After all, if it didn't sell they would not be successful.

She is an amazing artists. I love the colors she uses.

She has won a lot awards. Style is not my popcorn but to each her/his own. I never understood why some of the items on antquie road show can be worth so much. I made up the popcorn saying. Do you like?

Wonderful Art work!!

Thank you so much for that site! It's so beautiful. My grandson is into Harry Potter and he asked me to make him a Phoenix when he saw me quilting. It was a chore and it took me weeks to do it but of course because it was for him I loved doing it. Looks pathetic next to that one!

Yes her quilts are beautiful I was in Paducah the year she won with her first quilt It was magnificent Carmen W Australia

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ljorange
    Thank you so much for that site! It's so beautiful. My grandson is into Harry Potter and he asked me to make him a Phoenix when he saw me quilting. It was a chore and it took me weeks to do it but of course because it was for him I loved doing it. Looks pathetic next to that one!
    Check this out http://www.ferfab.co.uk/portfolio/sh...nix_rising.jpg I saw it in real life at the English Festival of Quilts last year and it is fabulous. As is Ferret, it's maker. English girl, young and funky and a fabulous quilt artist. :-D Just flyin' the flag! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Check this out http://www.ferfab.co.uk/portfolio/sh...nix_rising.jpg I saw it in real life at the English Festival of Quilts last year and it is fabulous. As is Ferret, it's maker. English girl, young and funky and a fabulous quilt artist. :-D Just flyin' the flag! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Wow, another artist!!!! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by ljorange
    Check this out http://www.ferfab.co.uk/portfolio/sh...nix_rising.jpg I saw it in real life at the English Festival of Quilts last year and it is fabulous. As is Ferret, it's maker. English girl, young and funky and a fabulous quilt artist. :-D Just flyin' the flag! :mrgreen:
    Thanks, that's a great site too!

Blog Entries
    Another reason to visit Paducah!

Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    love her work, and she is so nice, got a private tour of her home studio, and all I can say is wow!! I visit her studio at least a couple of times a year,

k3n,thanks for the link. She has some beautiful stuff. There is so much creativity out there ,and talent. I usually have to see something before I can make it.

the very first time I went to the Paducah quilt show, many, many years ago, she won Best of Show. Do you know whe was an air line attendant before she retired?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2