Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
exploring my sewing machines feet! >

exploring my sewing machines feet!

exploring my sewing machines feet!

Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I have done stitch in the ditch with the zipper foot because the needle rides almost along the edge of the foot.
What a great idea. I'm going to try this on my next quilt!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
I have had this Elna carina sewing machine for ages. It says 'electronic' but it must be an early years compared to what I see on machines now! My kids were little when I bought it and made a lot of clothing for them. But I was just playing with the feet that came with it - yeah, after probably 20 years, I am playing with it's feet!! There is a 'darning foot" that attaches to the shank. First you cover the feed dogs with another little plate with a hole in it for the needle and thread to pass. I set it to regular stitching but to stitch length "0". I think I have to make a small wallhanging to play with but it looks like FMQ to me!! And then there is a 'hemming' foot that has an adjustable guide that I think might be able to do 'stitch in the ditch'.
Have any of you used your sewing machine's feet for something other than what the manual says they are for?
I will use whatever foot will allow me to do whatever job I want to do and it doesn't matter what it may think it's specialty is. I'm a free spirit here. Enjoy your exploration and whatever it takes to have to buy a specialty foot.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Nancy Zieman (sewing with Nancy) has a book or two out on different ways to use your presser feet along with different stitch ideas/projects for them. I have seen a few other books out there too. America Quilts and America Sews Creatively PBS shows, talk a lot about using your presser feet for different uses too (Sue Hausman)