Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extending Batting? >

Extending Batting?

Extending Batting?

Old 07-24-2014, 03:15 PM

Default Extending Batting?

I wrote a post but guess it vanished into thin air. As I was saying, I made a quilt top and put on two borders instead of my initially planned single border. The batting I had measured for the smaller version of the quilt was plenty. But not anymore with the additional border. On top and bottom there's enought batting, but on the sides there's only 1/2 inch overhang.
What should I do? My friend is coming on Saturday to take it 2 hours away to her house to quilt it. No time to order more batting. Can I piece border somehow?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Take two pieces of batting, same length and the extra width you need, butt them together, sew together with your machine set on zig zag at its widest, longest length. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

You can piece batting. What type of batting is it? With cotton, you can do a long machine zigzag to join two pieces of batting. Or, you can use batting tape and iron it on (or make your own batting tape from fusible). With polyester I would hesitate to use the iron-on option and, if it's high loft, I might not like the machine zigzag. In that case, I would do a hand stitch to join -- probably a herringbone similar to the stitch Sharon Schambers uses when basting quilts with her boards (Youtube video demonstrates the stitch). Or, any kind of hand stitching that keeps the joined batting pieces together!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM

It's Warm & Natural all cotton, low loft.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:47 PM

I'm piecing my batting all the time. First I was using the special fusible tape, than one day I just joined it with a zig zag stitch. Once everything is quilted, you can't tell the difference, unless perhaps if you are not planning to quilt it very closely.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Banned

I usually do a long tailors stitch by hand. Doesn't flatten the loft.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 PM

I also piece batting together a lot. I just but the edges together (not overlapping which would make a ridge in the batting) and whip stitch the edges together by hand. I think you can just add an additional batting strip to the sides of your quilt.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Unless some of the quilting is already done, I would scoot the batting to desired width on one side, and then only have to add one piece to sew on the other side, instead of on both sides.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I wrote a post but guess it vanished into thin air.
Are you talking about this post?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...r-t250498.html

As threads age and people stop posting to them, they move down the list and eventually don't show on the front page of the forum anymore. They're still there, but on page 2, then page 3, etc.

You can find your posts quickly by clicking on "settings" in the upper right corner.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

Just make sure the two sections have straight edges. I don't like the feel the zig zag stitching so I just use some 2" stripe of fusible interface and fuse the two edges together. It is what I use to piece small scraps together so they are used too. I usually fuse on both sides.