Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extension table too slippery? >

Extension table too slippery?

Extension table too slippery?

Old 03-11-2015, 04:48 AM

Loved the videos. Thanks, Prism.

I am going to try the styrofoam idea. Looking at my setup, there is a trough of about a foot next to the extension table on the left and then the other table, running parallel against it, starts. This gives me a luxurious surface after the quilt slides off the table in back, but not so much in front or on the side. The tables are adjustable but not quite at the same height, due the best height for each chair. I am going to wedge a few books in there first to see and also try a small pillow in my lap to get the quilt to start up higher.

Thanks to all of you who are helping me think this through. I tried to be analytical but was probably too close to the problem (literally) to see it.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-11-2015, 07:33 AM

I agree with prism. I have the extension thingy for my machine, and as far as I'm concerned it's worthless. I made a "quilting" table out of same size cardboard boxes covering my entire quilting table, covered with the heavy clear vinyl from JoAnn's or Hancock's, which is taped on the bottom, and made a spot on the end for my machine, when it's not in use, it's standing on edge against the wall. I also spray some fabric safe silicone spray on the vinyl and the machine bed, it's really amazing in the difference it makes.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:24 PM

Charlotte, it sounds like you have found some good solutions here. When I first started quilting a few years ago I quickly discovered that I needed to have a table where I could recess the machine and work on a flat surface. The weight of a quilt was just too heavy to do even straight line quilting without having the machine recessed. You have some good ideas on how to accomplish that. I ended up buying a sewing table called Big Bertha that has a lift built into it to easily adjust the height of my machine. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 AM

As an update, I wrestled with my setup all afternoon yesterday. Keeping in mind what Tartan said about the walking foot doing the pushing, I increased its pressure and readjusted the tensions. I put a fat book into the trough to the left of the extension table, and it made a noticeable difference. But alas, I was still getting uneven-sized stitches (nicely made but uneven) because of the pushing I was doing to move the quilt (pushing too much makes them smaller). This was particularly annoying because the quilting lines were in a show-off spot. I redid a bunch of them.

Then I looked suspiciously at the place where the quilt slid off the extension table in back. I had thought that this wasn't a problem, since it was sliding downhill and had a big place to go. Plus, that was the same direction it needed to be going. So I moved around to the side of the table and pushed the quilt with one finger. It slid easily. At that point, with neck and shoulders hurting, I was ready to take the extension table outside and smash it on the driveway. And I am not a tantrum-throwing person.

I had thought that if other people used the extension tables to quilt, I could, too. But now, either DH will need to find a way to cut into that butcherblock, or I will be buying foam sheets and rewatching Prism's videos. Thanks to all of you who reached out to help. You're the greatest.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-12-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Such great suggestion. With support and the walking foot installed correctly, You should not be having trouble quilting unless it it the surface/support. Great suggestions posted here. Hang in there. Today is a new day.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:56 AM

I always had trouble with my quilt hanging up on the edges of my extension tables. My machine sits flush now and it's SO much easier for me. I still hunch up my shoulders (bad habit) so now I'm experimenting with sitting on a balance ball - I'm forced to keep my shoulders back further or I lose balance. It seems to be helping but still pretty new so not sure about it yet.

I've heard of people "tenting" their extension tables - get a piece of slick vinyl and put it over the extension (cut a hole for your needle) and fasten it down to your tabletop around the edges so it's pulled taut and sort of makes ramps on the sides of your extension, so there's no place for anything to snag. That might help, until you can get your machine set into a table.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I have to laugh about the balance ball. I tried one to see if I could get some extra exercise in while on the computer. It made me so motion sick I lasted less than 10 minutes!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have to laugh about the balance ball. I tried one to see if I could get some extra exercise in while on the computer. It made me so motion sick I lasted less than 10 minutes!
Weird! I am really prone to motion sickness but this doesn't bother me one bit. I find myself bouncing on it while I'm thinking, like a little kid kicking her feet. It's a little bit too low but it comes in bigger sizes - if it does seem to be working out I'll put this one in front of the TV and get the next size up for for my sewing table.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:30 PM

how about covering it with press and seal Glad wrap