Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extra around quilt top.. >

Extra around quilt top..

Extra around quilt top..

Old 01-24-2016, 02:21 PM

I use a sit down machine and I like having about 2-3 inches extra so there's something to grab onto when quilting the edges
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Yes, I am to the the point where I have finished just enough quilts to realize that 4-6 inches is more than needed. I quilt on a sitdown Sweet 16. Next quilt will be closer to 2-3 inches.
I only add a couple of inches on the batting and a couple more on the backing. It works fine.

On the Sweet 16 do you move the machine or the quilt for FMQ? Is this considered a mid-arm?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 AM

If you're quilting on a frame you need extra to pin to the leaders and to hold on to the sides with clamps. Try quilting right up to the leader and see how well you do and/or right up to the side clamps. My machine does not like getting that close. Plus you need to remember there will be some draw-in with the quilting so need to take that in account. I'd rather have extra than to find in the middle of my quilting my batting and/or backing has been pulled out of sight and leaves a gap.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:41 AM

Agree with all. It is also needed on the sides so the LA machine doesn't run into the side clamps as they are stitching.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:38 AM

Depends on how you will be quilting and what method of basting you do. As said previously, if you are long-arming or having it long-armed a lot of extra fabric is needed. I hand quilt with Elmers basting and need very little extra fabric and batting. With the Elmers, there is very little movement of batting and fabric once dry. Use a light hand and hand quilting is very doable.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:19 AM

I'm a longarm quilter and I usually like about 3" all the way around. If it's shorter than that, my side clamps are in the way of the top for quilting. I have customers that have given me as little as 1" which makes it very difficult and the quilt needs to be really square. However, on the other side, I have customers that don't trim their back and it can be as much as 10" or more on each side. This is really a waste, but trimming the back is not a part of my service.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:11 AM

Years ago, when quilters had to quilt in a frame that they let down from the ceiling, and had to roll the quilt as they quilted, they needed some extra fabric to pin the quilt to the strips attached to the frame. I'm guessing that that's where the need for extra fabric began.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:45 AM

I'm a rebel and have made quilts where the backing was smaller than the batting, and it worked fine, I just had to be careful lining things up when basting. I work with as little as a 1" overage and it comes out just fine. I baste thoroughly with Elmer's so my layers do NOT move! I quilt on my DSM so I can get away with it....I'm sure if I used a longarm I'd have to be a lot better about leaving overage.

I use wide backing a lot and I love saving the long trimmings to be used as borders or binding for other quilts.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:12 AM

You should only need about 2" if you are quilting on your home machine. I keep a box to throw all the scraps when I do the finish trimming and use these to stuff little toys for the kids or pets or for ornaments.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 AM

Nothing bugs me more than getting a quilt in the long arm frame and you barely have enough on the edges. It makes it much harder to quilt. always like to have 2 to 3 inches on EACH side.