Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extra Wide Binding question >

Extra Wide Binding question

Extra Wide Binding question

Old 10-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

If you choose to do a wide binding which lends to the overall design, be sure and extend the batting and backing beyond the top so binding will be filled.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by KarenJ View Post
If you wanted, say, a 1 inch binding, you would leave 3/4 inch of batting and backing beyond the raw quilt edge. When you sew binding to your quilt edge you use a 1/4 inch seam and when you fold if over you will be going over your 1/4 inch seam plus 3/4 inch of batting and backing to equal 1 inch fully stuffed binding. For double fold binding your fabric strips would have to be 5 inches or so, I forget the exact equation.
Thank you KarenJ! Your explanation is great, it was the sewing on with 1/4 inch that confused me, now I have a better idea of what to do!!! I hope anyways!!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
This sounds like fun but I'm confused about the corners. If you sew the binding on with a one inch seam allowance for example, when you get to the corner do you stop one inch from the end, rotate the quilt and flip the end up and fold back down as usual? I'm having trouble visualizing it. probably should experiment but it's easier to ask here first, lol.
Very good question.
Yes, it's true. You need to use a one inch seam allowance on the batting, batting and binding strip, and stop one inch from the corner to turn. The quilt top doesn't really have to be into the seam more than 1/4 inch, but I think that would be really hard to do because you wouldn't be able to see it while you are sewing.
I think I would baste the top to the batt and back and then sew the binding on from the back. That way, when you get to the front, you can see where to put the binding edge. A nice decorative stitch would hold down the front in the right place.
Maybe someone else could figure out how to sew this on from the front.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 AM

I was all set to try the wide binding on the quilt I am finishing up now, but after figuring what I had allowed for the regular 2 1/2 inch seam binding, were I to cut it twice that size, would not have had enough. I will try it on the next one and plan on that from the beginning to allow for backing, batting around the quilt. Thanks so much for all of your help.